Disposable Digital camera - A threat to environment?

Is the disposable digital camera a threat to environment ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
They said we got rid of film because all the chemicals and plastic was bad for the environment, now comes the disposable digital camera, I wonder what excuse they will come up with.

Do you think the environment remains at risk?

Not just your vote but your views are also welcome! Please read the story before voting or commenting, thanks.

A team of scientists from the UK and US have succeeded in creating a conductive plastic that could soon lead to cheap printable electronics such as, single use digital cameras or electronic paper.

Soon diposable digital cameras could be produced using electronic paper thanks to the advanced conductive plastic discovered by the efforts of a team of UK and US researchers.

The new material, is an organic polymer called semi-conducting polythiophene and can be laid down by simple printing methods as a fluid rather than the expensive and elaborate techniques used to process silicon. The material can be printed using traditional inkjet printers or techniques similar to those used to produce magazines and wallpaper. The material is also flexible which opens up a wealth of opportunities for its application.

Transistors have already been printed using the technique, and they are similar in performance to those used in the manufacture of flat panel display screens.

In the new polymer material, individual molecules align with each other more effectively than ever before. The result is an electronic performance six times better than previously reported. This, coupled with good stability in air, makes such polymers ideal candidates to replace more traditional materials such as silicon, providing cheap and easy routes to future products.

Iain McCulloch, a senior project manager from the team behind the discovery said, "Initial applications might be in simple, disposable electronic items, followed by small reflective displays for PDAs or e-paper"

The research team incorporated members from Merck Chemicals in Southampton, UK; Palo Alto Research Centre, California; Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Stanford University; and the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory.

Source ePhotozine

Attachments

• 2572_1137489360.jpg
    2572_1137489360.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 223

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Do you think the environment remains at risk?
Sorry Quad, but I'm abstaining from voting ... the Planet Earth will eventually have had enough of the human race and will enjoy wiping us out ... actually, the Planet won't do anything, we have, since our conception, continued to poison this planet from day one anyway.

Until man can see beyond the need for money, which I doubt will ever happen, then we are all doomed. Hopefully the Planet will survive. :)

In 120 years, the total population alive this instance ... will be dead. :rolleyes:

I think it may be time for my 'happy' pills ... :cool:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Mucks,

That is a thought provoking post and I have to admit I respect your opinion, you are in fact looking at the BIG PICTURE! Not many can visualise it let alone even spre time to think about it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Many things are a threat in one way or another, but this does seem like a needless threat. I know Europe has new responsible disposal laws, so I'm not sure these cameras could just be thrown away? It does seem to indicate that though - what is the point in having a disposable digital camera though? (there are no consumables as such anyway - rechargeable batteries and memory cards can be re-used).

I do hope that things to become recycled more, but I can't see that happening until oil runs even lower - and by then we'll probably have other things to worry about!

Reaction score
As mucks has said; this planet is doomed period! In my opinion mankind is its own worst enemy, what’s done is done and cannot be undone! The damage to the ozone layer is irreparable > worsening by the second >through the greed > and the idiotic action performed by mankind> what is being done Is just to little to late.:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There are some inroads being taken like the new European regulations regarding heavy metals in electronics, such as computers. Just in simple things such as solder not now aloud any lead and other heavy metals being banned.

But take the bigger picture, as you put it, and I just don't see us ever getting anywhere when big industry just takes the p1ss. The USA will conform to the new regulations ... but only on exports to Europe, for their home grown market you'll still find lead in solder, though they 'promise' to follow suit. :rolleyes:

Now that is just one very small example of what is actually happening ...

Sorry, I'm just getting a little tired of it all. :(

Reaction score
I agree with Mucks on that one i have to say.

I bet if in 1 year time a gian asteroid/comet/meteor (whatever the correct term is) was going to wipe out the entire planet and all life on it, we couldnt build anything to stop it. Not because it would be too complicated, but because the governments couldnt get their fingers out and realise it dosent matter about contracts and money, and realise that their asses were at steak. mmm steak... drools.

I believe disposable digital cameras would be reused though, right? I read something somewhere...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3091190.stm heres an interesting article

But hey... whatever.

Ask a Question