Display Error

G

I'm new to Windows XP (I've used other MS OS's before but not WinXP much) and I have had more system crashes in the last couple of hours that I have in the last year. I set up a mirrored display with a CRT monitor, hooked up a USB keyboard and mouse (all of which I had done before, all I did was unplug and plug back in so that I could move the laptop (it's an HP Pavilion ze4500)), and then the display size shrank (on both displays, laptop and CRT) and resolution decreased to 4-bit color. All attempts to fix this* have resulted in the BSOD followed by a near-immediate reboot so that I cannot read the error
If you know how I can read the BSOD or how to fix the problem please let me know

*I tried both clicking on the bubble that offered to fix it for me automatically and going through Control Panel -> Display -> Settings.

G

-----Original Message-----
I'm new to Windows XP (I've used other MS OS's before
but not WinXP much) and I have had more system crashes in
the last couple of hours that I have in the last year. I
set up a mirrored display with a CRT monitor, hooked up a
USB keyboard and mouse (all of which I had done before,
all I did was unplug and plug back in so that I could
move the laptop (it's an HP Pavilion ze4500)), and then
the display size shrank (on both displays, laptop and
CRT) and resolution decreased to 4-bit color. All
attempts to fix this* have resulted in the BSOD followed
by a near-immediate reboot so that I cannot read the
error.
If you know how I can read the BSOD or how to fix the problem please let me know.

*I tried both clicking on the bubble that offered to fix
it for me automatically and going through Control Panel -

Ask a Question