Disk Formatting Errors

G

I am trying to format a 3.5 floppy disk, but get the error message "Windows could not complete the formatting" I can't save anything to disk because it won't recongize any formatted disks or format any new disks. HELP!?

H

hustedj

It sounds like you have a bad disk drive.

Kami said:
I am trying to format a 3.5 floppy disk, but get the error message
"Windows could not complete the formatting" I can't save anything to disk
because it won't recongize any formatted disks or format any new disks.
HELP!?

G

I don't think that's it. I've been looking online and it seems there are many others experiencing the same problem. This is a brand new computer and brand new disks. I think it's an XP bug.

G

I also have the same problem. I initially replaced the disk drive, then realized that I can save & open disks that I use on XP, but can't for example put in a disk from my camera & open. I can however, open the disks on my other computers that are not XP. I have tried troubleshooting, etc. but it says the device is operating properly(& it is-it just won't read them). The only thing I have read is about changing the format (FAT, FAT32, etc.) I don't understand exactly what I need to do to correct this, the explainations are confusing & for people with more computer knowledge then myself. My other computers run 98, 2000 & ME that I can open the disks on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----- Kami wrote: -----

I don't think that's it. I've been looking online and it seems there are many others experiencing the same problem. This is a brand new computer and brand new disks. I think it's an XP bug.

G

my neighbor just installed xp and his drive won't work either and i have been checking into it. i'll let you know what i find out.

G

I have the same problem....wondering if it has something to do with the little twist in the data cable from floppy to motherboard, my floppy worked fine until I tried to put it in my new system...with xp pro, now the light is constantly on...it sounds like it reads but says insert disk...PLEASE HELP

----- hustedj wrote: -----

It sounds like you have a bad disk drive.

Kami said:
I am trying to format a 3.5 floppy disk, but get the error message
"Windows could not complete the formatting" I can't save anything to disk
because it won't recongize any formatted disks or format any new disks.
HELP!?

Ask a Question