Disk Cloning / Imaging

Bob

Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is
to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?

It is my understanding that XP has a utility that allows you to import
your profile and settings from the old disk. That's a different
procedure from the In-Place Upgrade you are referring to.

There is a KB article about this XP utility. I run Win2K so I cannot
comment about it. I have used Win2K IPU successfully several times,
both to repair a corrupt disk and to migrate from one OS to the other
and from one hardware platform to another. In each instance it worked
as advertised.

Because it's so easy to collect lots of crap in the Registry which
follows you when you do the IPU, I use several rather aggressive
Registry cleaners. A couple are a bit too aggressive which forced me
to find what was being removed and put it back. But if you are careful
and do the operation in small steps, you can rid your Registry of a
lot of garbage.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education
will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and
determination alone are omnipotent."
--Calvin Coolidge

McSpreader

Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is
to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?

Correct.

That will (should :) give you a working XP system that has the
same patch level of the CD, so you'll probably need to 'roll
forward' by applying the latest patches e.g. from WindowsUpdate.

McSpreader

(e-mail address removed) (Bob) wrote in
It is my understanding that XP has a utility that allows you to
import your profile and settings from the old disk. That's a
different procedure from the In-Place Upgrade you are referring
to.
....but the in-place upgrade retains profiles and settings so this is
irrelevant to the question.

<further irrlevance snipped>

Rod Speed

McSpreader said:
That will (should :) give you a working XP system that has
the same patch level of the CD, so you'll probably need to 'roll
forward' by applying the latest patches e.g. from WindowsUpdate.

Its generally better to slipstream the distribution
CD before using it to repair the XP install.

Bob

Once there was:
"How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;nl;314070
but not anymore. There must be a reason.

Maybe because there's this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Read the comments about different hardware.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
--William Shakespeare; Henry VI, Act IV, Scene II

Rod Speed

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
McSpreader <[email protected]> desperately attempted
to bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

Peter

Once there was:
Maybe because there's this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Read the comments about different hardware.

Is that what are you referring to:
". You must use the Windows Setup program to enumerate Plug and Play
devices again, including the hardware abstraction layer (HAL)." ?

Microsoft did not explicitly say that Q315341 can be applied to
"move a Windows XP installation to different hardware" nor
they referred to Q314070.

I think they do not want to make an impression, that it is a Microsoft
recommended method to achieve such a move.

McSpreader

Whatever you say Rod, now just troll off.

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
McSpreader <[email protected]> desperately attempted
to bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

Rod Speed

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
McSpreader <[email protected]> desperately attempted
to bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

Folkert Rienstra

Rod Speed said:
He did

The problem is with

OE doesn't quote that properly.

Doesn't quote that at all. Which OE-QuoteFix will fix nicely.
Of course you now will rely on others to notify the poster to change his
Content-Transfer-Encoding settings.

Btw, if you have very long URLs, quoted-printable won't break them.
If your goal is to restore a bunch of your files then most everything you
describe is possible using Acronis TrueImage, Ghost or even Xcopy /e/h .
However if your goal is to "clone" a running/bootable/operational Windows
install then things are much more difficult.
With some playing around it'll usually work with 98[SE] and ME

It'll usually work with out any playing around with those.
but not with W2K, NT4, XP nor W2K3.

Wrong, you've just got to repair the install with those.
The exception to that is that if your goal is to restore the
DVD/image to a different(bigger) HD(but same connection
type like ATA vs. SCSI) on the same PC then that will work
with TrueImage and Ghost on all 98[SE], ME, W2K, XP, W2K3.

Only if you're careful about what the OS can see on
the first boot after clone is done with W2K, XP, W2K3.
Otherwise a clean install of NT4, W2K, XP or W2K3 is the best way to
go followed by files copies and/or some settings transfers wizards etc.

Not necessarily, cloning and repair usually works fine.
"Dan" (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message Hello, Im interested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
Windows but I have a question before hand

If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
size/brand hard disk. Is
that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

Someone recommended either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
not sure if it'll help me.

I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Rod Speed

Doesn't quote that at all.

Thats what I meant.
Which OE-QuoteFix will fix nicely.
Of course you now will rely on others to notify the poster
to change his Content-Transfer-Encoding settings.

I couldnt care less basically.

Rod Speed said:
Thats what I meant.

I couldnt care less basically.

As if that matters.
Same with the default Format=Flowed; Original if you surround it with <>

Not with the Win9x/me version, AFAICT.
And from what I've seen from your posts, Format=Flowed still breaks lines
when viewing with other news clients than OE 6.00.2900.
That's assuming OE 6.00.2900 corrects that for itself.
[...]

In spades with your preferences.
Not with the Win9x/me version, AFAICT.

You're wrong, the OS is completely irrelevant, its OE on that.
And from what I've seen from your posts, Format=Flowed still breaks
lines when viewing with other news clients than OE 6.00.2900.

No URLS when done like that, thats what is being discussed.
That's assuming OE 6.00.2900 corrects that for itself.

Nothing to 'correct' with the initial lack of molesting of the url.
.

Rod Speed said:
In spades with your preferences.

You're wrong, the OS is completely irrelevant,
its OE on that.

And what OE version will be supported by any OS.

So then, tell us where we can download OE 6.00.2900 for Win9x.
AFAICT, the latest is for XP, coming with SP2.
No URLS when done like that, thats what is being discussed.

Never worked for OE when it still broke the URLs. Current OE, how-
ever, doesn't break them at all anymore, with(?) or without <........>:

!---------!---------!---------!---------!---------!---------!---------!-------80!---------!---------!---------!---------!--------132
--------!---------!-------160 This was a single line while composing the message.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/ove...1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

See, no breaks.

<http://www.lavalys.com/products/ove...&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/
products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en>

Oops!

Nothing to 'correct' with the initial lack of molesting of the url.

So what good is format=flowed with the mess that you created below in the next 7 or so lines??
[...]

Badly actually.
And what OE version will be supported by any OS.

Even you should be able to bullshit your way out
of your predicament better than that pathetic effort.
So then, tell us where we can download OE 6.00.2900 for Win9x.
AFAICT, the latest is for XP, coming with SP2.

You're wrong, as always.
Never worked for OE when it still broke the URLs.

You're wrong, as always.
Current OE, how- ever, doesn't break them at all anymore, with(?) or without

You're wrong, as always.

So what good is format=flowed with the mess
that you created below in the next 7 or so lines??

Separate issue entirely to what was being discussed, breaking urls.