disk check vs scandisk

Leonard F Kiesling

using xp home edition, 3.0 gig pent IV, 512mb ram.

recently had power loss, (blown circuit breaker in house) with computer on.
upon power being restored, no scan disk came on like my 98se does. i
researched KB. "check disk" is available thru my
computer-properties-tools-error checking.

is there a way to set check disk so if a power loss is sustained it will
automatically run check disk when power is restored, like it does with
scandisk in win98se?

thank you, len kiesling

Sharon F

using xp home edition, 3.0 gig pent IV, 512mb ram.

recently had power loss, (blown circuit breaker in house) with computer on.
upon power being restored, no scan disk came on like my 98se does. i
researched KB. "check disk" is available thru my
computer-properties-tools-error checking.

is there a way to set check disk so if a power loss is sustained it will
automatically run check disk when power is restored, like it does with
scandisk in win98se?

thank you, len kiesling

Chkdsk will run if necessary. NTFS is not perfect but it's a bit more
resilient than FAT32. It can survive some sudden shutdowns that would send
a FAT32 system into a tailspin.

If you're not comfortable with the system's decision to not run chkdsk
after an event, you should run it manually.

Carrie Garth

| "Leonard F Kiesling" <[email protected]>
| wrote | using xp home edition, 3.0 gig pent IV, 512mb ram.
|
| recently had power loss, (blown circuit breaker in house) with
| computer on. upon power being restored, no scan disk came on
| like my 98se does. i researched KB. "check disk" is available
| thru my computer-properties-tools-error checking.
|
| is there a way to set check disk so if a power loss is
| sustained it will automatically run check disk when power is
| restored, like it does with scandisk in win98se?

I am not a file system expert, but my guess is that your "xp home
edition" is installed on a partition that is formatted NTFS. And
since NTFS is a "recoverable file system" a power outage is not
going to cause file system corruption like happened with your
Win98 SE system. Obviously your Win98 SE system is/was not
installed on a partition that is formatted NTFS. Most likely FAT
or FAT32. And any little glitch in power supply can cause file
system corruption on a FAT partition (and thus trigger scandisk).

For probably more information than you ever wanted about chkdsk
(and autochk) see the following documentation and Microsoft
Knowledge
Base Articles.

Microsoft Product Support Services White Paper
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Chkdsk Management
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows2000/techinfo/administration/fileandprint/chkdsk.asp

KB314835 - An Explanation of the New /C and /I Switches That Are
Available to Use with Chkdsk.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;314835

Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Documentation
Part VI | System Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting Disks and File Systems
SECTION: Running Autochk When the Computer Restarts
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_gwoj.asp

And if you still have any questions I suggest that you post them
in a the newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.file_system

If you read the newsgroups via Microsoft Communities Web Page:
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgr....file_system&sd=GN&id=fh;EN-US;winsvr2003news

If you read newsgroups using a NNTP newsreader, such as Outlook
Express, and use the msnews.microsoft.com news server:

Leonard F Kiesling

thank you all for this info! i like it when the system makes the decision!
using 80 gig hard drive, using about 17 gig. any idea how long a manual scan
would take?
len

Carrie Garth

||| "Leonard F Kiesling" <[email protected]>
||| wrote ||| <SNIP> is there a way to set check disk so if a power loss is
||| sustained it will automatically run check disk when power is
||| restored, like it does with scandisk in win98se?

|| a partition that is formatted NTFS. And since NTFS is a
|| "recoverable file system" <SNIP>
|| Windows 2000 Chkdsk Management
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows2000/techinfo/administration/fileandprint/chkdsk.asp
|| <SNIP>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;314835
|| <SNIP>
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_gwoj.asp
|| <SNIP>

| "Leonard F Kiesling" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | thank you all for this info! i like it when the system makes
| the decision! using 80 gig hard drive, using about 17 gig. any
| idea how long a manual scan would take? len

I like it, too (NTFS rules!) And about the length of time it
would take. As it says in the Windows 2000 Chkdsk Management
documentation to this most commonly asked question... "The answer
is we don't know. There is simply no formula to determine how
long chkdsk will take to run given all variables. Running chkdsk
can take anywhere from a few seconds to several days, depending
on the situation."