Discarded Hard Drives ... Security?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Actually, the title has nothing to do with what I have been doing today, but it made me think.

We have had notices here before with members posting links to articles on how YOUR discarded hard drive could end up in the wrong hands ... well.

I have been working on an assumed dead hard drive and with the help of Linux I have managed to recover all relevant docs and pictures and any other 'saved' files for this person.

I have to laugh 'cos she was going to throw the HD away ... well, the point.

She has "saved" buy way of a scanner her ... full driving licence, passport, birth certificate of herself & children, marriage certificate and a whole host of other documents including utility bills.

Security ??? ... one does not need to go around 'hacking' into PCs, just go pick up their rubbish.
laughingsmiley.gif

Really folks ... think!!! about what you're doing. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Data theft is no doubt going to be a big problem in years to come!

Something clever that my laptop can do is password protect the actual drive - it won't operate if it is removed from the laptop and/or the BIOS password isn't entered. I only tried this out the other day and it seems pretty effective. I'm sure someone determined could remove the platters and perhaps do something that way though.

I've chucked plenty of drives away I have to admit - mainly croaked IBM "deathstar" ones so I doubt they can get any data from them :lol: I've got all my important documents backed up and don't store anything like those scanned documents, but it does pay to be vigilant :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Something clever that my laptop can do is password protect the actual drive - it won't operate if it is removed from the laptop and/or the BIOS password isn't entered. I only tried this out the other day and it seems pretty effective.
Tried it out on what?

As a slave on a Linux OS PC or ... ;)

Don't get me wrong but that IS the idea behind hardware security and nothing to do with the fact that it may be abused by DRM. The figures for stolen laptops is ridiculous.

There were several reasons to use my Linux box to attempt data retrieval ... I won't go into the ins and outs as what, some are just pain obvious ... but I'd love to have a go with your HD. :D

user.gif

Reaction score
I either re-format Hard Drives and use them again or destroy them by taking them apart and damaging them beyond repair normally with a 4 pound lump hammer:thumb:

After being shown some software to restore data recently it really opened my eyes to data security, But most people do not realise that data can be recovered even after formatting a drive and it can be done cheaply as well!

Interesting post, thanks Muckshifter for highlighting it:thumb:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Tried it out on what?

Just inside the same laptop, but without letting the BIOS have access to the drive password. Not really a good test but best I could muster :) It just refuses any access to it (o/s independent).

I'll stick it in another laptop and see if it does the same thing next time a mate has his laptop round :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian,

It will thwart any 'thief' who just happened upon your laptop left laying around campus or in the boot of the car ... but not yet your corporate thief who is dead set on retrieving volatile data from their opposition.

Toshiba upset a lot of owners by simply offering to replace their HDs but do nothing to help retrieve their data ... it is a little easier now to do the latter. :rolleyes:

I merely want to point out that storing this sort of information, as did this Lady, on your HD is basically a stupid idea.

I could quite easily take her ID and use it for my own needs ... this 'incident' is well worth bringing to the attention of anyone who cares to read ... :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Every hard disk I've discarded I've smashed with a large hammer.

RMA'ed disks I've written 0's to where I've been able to but I guess some have been sent with my personal data on.

There again, who relies on a hard disk to keep important data? USB Memory stick minimum, CD or DVD is best, never rely on a hard drive.

Reaction score
I back all important data up each week to a CD-R or DVD-R Disc.
But then being a Mesh PC it's better than when i first bought it and had to do it daily!!

Reaction score
I sledge hammer discarded HDDs :D

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 134
Reaction score
I delete everything, then I use the magnet from a stereo speaker to wipe everything, then I smash it.

Reaction score
I keep it in my house , I don't smash it or sth that's the thing I'm planning to learn in a few months:)

Ask a Question