    and can see svchost (dhcpsvc.dll) opening the DHCPNameServer key and deleting
    it.

    Any ideas?

    Guest, May 29, 2007

  2. Posting the results of ipconfig /all before and after DNS changing here may help.

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "Paul C" <Paul > wrote in message news:D...
    Hi, I have a problem where DHCP assigned DNS settings disappear from the XP
    clients. The system has been working for years without problems and no
    changes have been made to our DHCP or DNS servers. The DHCP lease time is 3
    days.

    I can do an ipconfig/renew and all the DNS settings are correct and then
    generally about 60 seconds later they are gone - sometimes it can be several
    minutes. All other settings are unaffacted. I have run process monitor to
    check for changes to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], May 29, 2007

    Hi, its ok I have found the source of the problem and kicked the relevant
    backsides. I used the network monitor and discovered that there was an
    unconfigured DHCP server running on an OSX server we have. This wasn't giving
    out IP addresses to the clients but was telling them that the DNS server was
    0.0.0.0.

    Another question would be why would it acknowledge DHCP requests when no
    scope is defined?

    Also why do the XP clients poll for and accept these settings so frequently
    - but then always get the correct settings from the 2003 server using an
    ipconfig/renew

    Anyway thanks for your response.

    Guest, May 29, 2007