Disabling Recovery Console Login

J

JamesJ

Hi. Somewhere I found a line to put into the registry so that
Recovery Console does not require a login to run when run
from the XP cd but I can't seem to find it in any of sources.
Can someone let me know or pint me in the right direction to
this??

Thanks,
James

J

JamesJ

I found it elsewhere but before I changed the registry the Recovery Console
on the Windows XP Home CD prompted me for a login password. Which I didn't
know
or had set.

James

B

Bob Harris

Start à Run à Regedit

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

Note to Andrew E (previous replyer): The recovery console does require a password, but in the home edition that password is blank by default, and in such a case hitting return will work. If the PC came with XP pre-installed, the password may be set to something else. Or, the person who installed XP could have set a password on the administrator account, as a matter of security. That account is normally hidden in the home edition, unless using safe mode. Note that "THE administrator account" is different from "AN administrator account". The former is special, and there is only one per PC. The latter can install programs, edit the registry, etc, and there can be several per PC, but none of these can run the recovery console, unless they know THE administrator's password, or the above registry fix is used..

Ask a Question