Windows 10 Disabling Automatic Updates

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I come in and find my PC has rebooted after an automatic update and I have insert my password again to get things going. I dislike this intensely and would like to do the updates manually at a time of my choosing. I have looked in the Win10 forum but cannot find anything relevant (probably a man look).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have been caught out with an automated reboot too (when I had work left open! It was saved thankfully). :mad:

You could try to disable updates, but if there's a critical security hole found then you may miss out until remembering to update. Perhaps disabling the automated reboot would be a good compromise (just my thoughts anyway)?

This link explains the ways of doing both those things in quite a lot of detail:
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No, I was simply agreeing with what Ian said. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have 'auto-update' deferred to a time when the PC is not on ... oh, and when I turn off my PC, I turn off the power switch.

... never had a fire, yet. ;)

Ask a Question