From: "Tom" <[email protected]>
Subject: Disable DOT4 printer port
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

New to the newsgroup...but have an issue I hope someone
can help me with. Using a HP LaserJet 1200
printer\copier. When it installs it uses a DOT4 printer
port, rather than the parallel port. No matter what I do,
it will always revert back. Getting an error saying it
can't communicate with the port. The error is totaly
random, and goes away for an undetermained amount of time
after a reboot. Is there anyway to stop it from using the
DOT4 port? Thanks in advance
--

What OS are you running? If Windows 2000, what Service Pack do you have installed? There was an issue with
DOT4.SYS on Windows 2000 that was resolved with SP2 and later.

Below is link to a Terminal Services article that describes moving a printer from the DOT4 port to a LPT port that may be
helpful.

302361 - Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not Redirected in a Remote Desktop
or Terminal Services Session
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];302361

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.