digital video-editing pc with 10,000 rpm drives

Reaction score
I am thinking of building my own digital video-editing computer. For what I can order on-line, I can build a better computer for much less than I would pay to have one built locally. I am looking at buying 2 hard-drives, both with 10,000 rpm (rather than typical 7200). I have been told that this speed will enhance the digital video-editing process and is worth the extra money. (I save so much by buying the parts myself that I will have the extra funds.) What do you guys think? Go for it? What to watch out for? Thanks in advance.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The only 10,000 rpm drives available are the Western Digital Raptors, they come in 35Gb & 74Gb flavours, but they're expensive.

Yes, they will speed up the video editing and rendering process, but will be only one contributory factor. They will be even faster if you use two of them in a RAID 0 array.

For video editing, it's recommended to have plenty of RAM (at least 1Gb) the fastest processor you can afford and plenty of hard disk space.

Were you to set up 2 x 35Gb Raptors in a RAID 0 array, it would be wise to add another disk of around 200Gb minimum for storage.

Ask a Question