    file for security purposes?

    Thanks in advance,

    Eric

    EricG, Jun 10, 2009

  2. EricG

    EricG Guest

    Never mind, I figured out the right sequence to convert the signed database
    front end to an "mde" file that disables the shift key bypass.

    EricG, Jun 11, 2009

  3. EricG

    Keith Wilby Guest

    "EricG" <> wrote in message
    > Never mind, I figured out the right sequence to convert the signed
    > database
    > front end to an "mde" file that disables the shift key bypass.

    An mde does *not* have a disabled bypass key by default.

    Keith.
    www.keithwilby.co.uk

    Keith Wilby, Jun 11, 2009
  4. On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:14:00 -0700, EricG
    <> wrote:

    But you can still hold down the Shift key while you open the signed
    file.

    Typically an mdb is first turned into an mde, then signed.
    To understand why, consider what a digital signature does: it has two
    and only two purposes:
    1: It tells you without a doubt who signed the file
    2: It tells you that the file was not modified while in transit from
    signer to you.
    Following this, a signed MDB would still have all source code
    available to any user, whereas an MDE does not.

    -Tom.
    Microsoft Access MVP

    Tom van Stiphout, Jun 12, 2009
  5. EricG

    EricG Guest

    What I ended up doing was first signing the mdb file, then converting it to
    an mde file, then turning off the shift key bypass using my "backdoor"
    method, programmatically. That seems to have worked - shift key no longer
    works, the digital signiture is intact, and the mde file works.

    That's a little backwards compared to your response, but the end result is
    probably the same.

    Thanks for your response,

    Eric

    EricG, Jun 15, 2009