digital signature does not validate or is not present

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Gordie, Jun 27, 2008.

  1. Gordie

    Gordie Guest

    I'm fighting a pesky error, that I believe is in XP. System is XP Pro SP3
    with all updates.

    Office 2003 suite is currently installed. I have a retail boxed CD of Office
    2007 Home and Student. The first thing that appears when it is loaded is a
    message: "D:\HomeStudentr.WW\OSETUP.DLL digital signature does not validate
    or is not present." Click OK and nothing more is done/seen.

    There are many reports of this problem in the Office 2007 sites, most
    replies focus on the CD. It is NOT the CD. It works fine on another computer,
    also I get the same error with this computer and another CD of Office 2007
    HSE. It is not the CD reader either. Following some suggestions, I used
    WinZip to extract the files and put them on a clean USB HDD. Same thing
    happens there, too. It is definitely a software problem in XP or whatever
    install package Office is using.

    If the software in the system is corrupted somehow, what is the fix?
    Might it be a missing root Certificate Authority?
    Miss-behavior by a 3rd party firewall (it is using CA)?

    Many would appreciate a real solution to this problem.

    Gordie, Jun 27, 2008

  2. Gordie

    Andrew E. Guest

    Few years ago had seen same problem(s) with office..To chk signatures,
    go to run,type:SigVerif Use the custom or browse for specific locations...

    Andrew E., Jun 28, 2008

  3. Gordie

    Gordie Guest

    Thank you, Andrew E. I scanned a clean system (not the one having this
    problem) and found 31 files that are not digitally signed. Most are in a
    spool folder and relate to various printers.

    Perhaps a property was set in the registry that enforces digital signatures
    on that system. Otherwise, why would the install fail? Curious.

    It just 'feels' like a bug. One always begins to think of malware.

    Other ideas, anyone?

    Gordie, Jun 28, 2008