Digital Guitar

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This looks great for all you budding rock stars.

http://www.misadigital.com/

[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]THE MISA DIGITAL GUITAR[/font]

shot2.jpg
[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]
"My design aim was for a minimalistic interface, with configurability at the sound module end, leaving the instrument itself simple and effective.

That being said, the Misa digital guitar software is open source, and powered by the Linux operating system. This means programmers have the flexibility to modify how it works, and even change the interface to provide specific functionality. This is important because collaboration from the users themselves, experimenting and innovating in their own ways, will further improve the instrument.

The Misa digital guitar is a MIDI controller. It must be plugged into a MIDI capable sound module. The sound of this instrument is limited only by what you connect to it.

Specifications: Linux kernel 2.6.31 (Gentoo); 24 frets; touchscreen; MIDI out; Ethernet; and SSH server[/font][/font][/font][/font]"

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Interesting. How much is the actual instrument though?

On that subject, Dave Gilmour commented on all these Rockstar and Beatles games, mostly for consoles, and said if he wanted his kid to learn a musical instrument then that's what he'd give them to learn, not some software where the only skill required is hitting the right number in sequence.

But I suppose that instrument is a different concept, it for real.

I think we had a link to something similar a few years ago, without the Linux connection, and IIRC it cost a small fortune.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]DETAILS[/font]

The guitar itself is CNC machined out of solid ABS plastic. This is an extremely solid body, not like injection moulded plastic which is thin, lightweight and hollow. The screen is an 8.4" LCD 800x600 resolution. The CPU is a 500MHz x86 compatible AMD Geode which makes life easier, I guess. The operating system is Gentoo Linux which I've stripped down to be as lean as possible. Graphics (framebuffer access) is done with DirectFB which acts as a fast layer on top of the hardware. The neck is 144 "keycaps" sitting on top of a special keymat that I had tooled. They are not pressure sensitive - but I made the decision early on not to include this because I don't feel it is neccessary, it would make the instrument harder to play and less reliable.

[font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]HOW IT WORKS[/font]

Even though the digital guitar itself runs Linux, it is compatible across ALL major operating systems, because it is MIDI compatible. The Linux side is just for the brains of the guitar. Some people have been asking whether you need a Linux PC and the answer is no! So as long as you plug it in to a MIDI compatible sound module / sound card, it will work. So to clarify - if you intend to connect the Misa digital guitar in to your PC, you will need a MIDI port or a USB<->MIDI adaptor!

The PC is one thing this digital guitar will connect to, but it also will connect to synthesizers and samplers. It is MIDI compatible, and just about every synthesizer on the market today has MIDI. It is a standard that has been around for over 20 years.

[/font] [font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]PURCHASE[/font] [font=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]

Thank you very much for your interest in the Misa digital guitar!

The price will not be released until the first production run is completed.

If you would like to be on the waiting list, send an email to:

em2.png

so we can keep you up to date. Those at the top of the waiting list will have the first priority to buy a Misa digital guitar, and delivery should be about one week. [/font]
user.gif

I'm not spamming here am I ?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I have the Rockstar Beatles for the PS3 and my kids love it...hand eye co-ordination can only improve and if they ever bring out a Rush disc then all`s complete although Aaron might struggle with La villa strangiato and come to that Charlotte might with Neils instrumentals...lol agree Flops :) , but what a laugh :)

Ask a Question