Difficulty with .Net installer User Interface

G

I'm deploying a C# Windows app using VisualStudio.Net 7.1.3088, and for the life of me I can't get the Checboxes(A) to work properly. All I am trying to do is use checkboxes to prompt the user about whether to install desktop and program menu shortcuts, but the installer always installs them no matter what the user selects. I have set conditions on the "User's Desktop" and "User's Program Menu" file-system items (actually the program-menu shortcut location is in a subfolder, but I set a condition there too), and I have declared the matching condition in the checkbox properties. I have also set "Always Create" to false, but it still doesn't work. I'm sure it must be something I am doing wrong, but I just can't imagine what it might be. Any ideas? Thanks...

G

Malcolm,

I'm not sure what tool you are using to make your install. I'm assuming VS.NET, but I'm not familiar with that.

I do know a bit about MSI, though. My first suspicion is that you are setting the property in the WIndows Installer's User Interface thread, but that isn't getting carried over into the Execution threads. Make sure the name of the property is all UPPERCASE, and that might fix it. (Background: Windows Installer on Win2000/XP runs three different processes: UI Immediate, Execute Immediate, Execute Deferred. You need to take care in having these kids play together.)

Hank

G

Malcolm,

I'm not sure what tool you are using to make your install. I'm assuming VS.NET, but I'm not familiar with that.

I do know a bit about MSI, though. My first suspicion is that you are setting the property in the WIndows Installer's User Interface thread, but that isn't getting carried over into the Execution threads. Make sure the name of the property is all UPPERCASE, and that might fix it. (Background: Windows Installer on Win2000/XP runs three different processes: UI Immediate, Execute Immediate, Execute Deferred. You need to take care in having these kids play together.)

Hank

G

Malcolm,

Hank

G

Thanks Hank,

I am indeed using VS.Net. Unfortunately the property I defined was already in uppercase, so I guess that isn't the problem. I'm still stumped...

MP

G

What OS are you running it on? With Wise for Windows Installer they have a merge module that fixes problems with conditional features on Windows 9x. I don't know if VS.NET has anything similar.

G

Hi Hank,

I am using Windows XP Pro 5.1.2600. This problem is truly vexing, as the VS.Net installer system seems quite simple, but just doesn't seem to work!

MP

Ask a Question