% Difference between cells based on variable...

T

TheMilkGuy

Perhaps I'm not even phrasing the question correctly. I am arguably loathsome at math.

Given two ranges:

A B
1000 500
2000 1000
3000 1500

If I have a variable that gives me 1750 and I want to reference that to column A... How can I get the difference calculated from column B?

Example: 1750 finds the part of the A1:A3 range in which it fits (A1:A2), then applies its own difference between the two (75%) to the B1:B2 for an answer of 875.

Of course, IRL column A is not comprised of even thousands.

I hope that is clear enough. Thank you for your time.

Cheers

T

TheMilkGuy

Hi Ron,

First of all, I appreciate the quick reply.

The second formula you sent works *perfectly* and I am more than pleased with the result. Saves me about a dozen nested IF's.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Craig

T

TheMilkGuy

I changed to the 3rd formula and you are right, it is much easier to understand. :)

Thanks again

T

TheMilkGuy

Hi again Ron,

I am sorry to resurrect a topic, but I'm in need of a bit more assistance. I keep getting "Circular Reference" warnings associated with the formula you so kindly provided me. In most cases I can make them go away (example: A1 value of 1000, A4 value of 7000 - I change A1 to 999 and A4 to 7001) however, some I just cannot get rid of.

I suppose not fully understanding the formula is my problem (repeat: it ISmy problem) but I was wondering if you could a)dumb-it-down a bit for my understanding or b) perhaps edit it in some way to circumvent this issue?

Again, many thanks for the help.
Craig

Ask a Question