DHCP with NAT ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 RAS Routing' started by peter walker, Dec 28, 2003.

  1. peter walker

    peter walker Guest

    Hi, I have ADSL. I've configured RRAS to give me persistent connection to
    the internet. I've also set up NAT under RRAS defining both a public
    interface and private interface. I would like to have my LAN clients
    automatically assigned an IP address and information like the default
    gateway and DNS. Im guessing that one has to configure DHCP into the above
    scheme. If i go to RRAS > NAT > properties > Address Assignment and tick
    "automatically assign ip add. by using DHCP" (here there is a default ip
    range of 192.168.0.0 /24) and then connect a client machine to the network,
    that client machine does not get an address in the range 192.168.0.0 /24.
    Instead they get an IP in the range 169.254.0.0 /16 which i believe NAT is
    assigning. Now Im getting confused as to how i can automatically assign IP,
    DG & DNS info to my clients. How is it that NAT can interact with DHCP. I
    thought you have to use one or the other? Both assign IP addresses to
    clients. Do i have to set up the DHCP service?

    All i want to do is be able to:
    1. assign ip addresses,DNS & Default Gateway info to various clients on my
    LAN to access the internet
    2. have those clients access the internet via ADSL with persistent
    connection
    3. (important) Be able to exclude various ip addresses for specific devices
    like routers/switches.

    Thanks!

    peter walker, Dec 28, 2003

  2. peter walker

    peter walker Guest

    dont worry about it :)

    i managed to figure it out

    cheers,
    Hz

    peter walker, Dec 28, 2003

  3. Hi,

    You still need to configure the DHCP service with the appropriate scope and
    options.

    --

    Thanks,
    Marc Reynolds

    Marc Reynolds [MSFT], Dec 28, 2003
  4. peter walker

    peter walker Guest

    Yep done. I actually forgot to make the IP address static on the server pc
    prior to all the RRAS/NAT configuration. It works beautifully now :)

    Thanks!

    Hz

    "Marc Reynolds [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > You still need to configure the DHCP service with the appropriate scope

    and
    > options.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Thanks,