Device manager doesn't see new wireless router

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by JonMiller9, Nov 25, 2006.

  1. JonMiller9

    JonMiller9 Guest

    Hi all,

    I recently installed a Netgear WGT624v3 wireless router. The device
    works fine and delivers the internet to the other computer on the
    network. I've been trying to straighten out networking problems and I
    can't get started because Device Manager doesn't recognize the router
    is present. I've clicked on "show hidden devices" and clicked on every
    tab for every type of hardware without finding it.

    The computer does recognize the presence of the ethernet LAN card. The
    computer is currently connected to the internet by one ethernet cable
    that runs from the modem to the router and then another running from
    the router to the ethernet port. Any suggestions?

    TIA,

    Jon

    JonMiller9, Nov 25, 2006

  2. JonMiller9

    Guest

    the router should NOT show up in Device Manager; the box's network adapter
    should show up, but not the router itself. if you can call up the
    router's config page w/ your browser (usually http://192.168.0.1) then you
    are gettting thru to it.

    One way to straighten out these issues fairly easily is to run the Network
    Setup Wizzard (in Control Panel). It will ensure that all neccessary
    services are running and that all basic settings are made. Note it
    usually turns on more things than are actually needed, but it's a good
    starting point.

    , Nov 25, 2006

  3. JonMiller9

    JonMiller9 Guest

    wrote:
    > the router should NOT show up in Device Manager; the box's network adapter
    > should show up, but not the router itself. if you can call up the
    > router's config page w/ your browser (usually http://192.168.0.1) then you
    > are gettting thru to it.
    >
    > One way to straighten out these issues fairly easily is to run the Network
    > Setup Wizzard (in Control Panel). It will ensure that all neccessary
    > services are running and that all basic settings are made. Note it
    > usually turns on more things than are actually needed, but it's a good
    > starting point.

    That's the difficulty. I've run Network Setup Wizard several times
    without any results. The wireless connection does not appear under
    Network Connections. The fix I've found for that
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702) begins with making corrections
    in Device Manager. Suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Jon

    JonMiller9, Nov 25, 2006
  4. JonMiller9

    DanS Guest

    "JonMiller9" <> wrote in

    > That's the difficulty. I've run Network Setup Wizard several times
    > without any results. The wireless connection does not appear under
    > Network Connections. The fix I've found for that
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702) begins with making
    > corrections in Device Manager. Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon

    I suggest you provide more details.

    Seems as if the rtr isn't your problem, but configuring your wireless
    client to access the rtr is ?

    DanS, Nov 25, 2006
  5. JonMiller9

    JonMiller9 Guest

    DanS wrote:

    > I suggest you provide more details.
    >
    > Seems as if the rtr isn't your problem, but configuring your wireless
    > client to access the rtr is ?

    Could be. I'm running Windows XP on both computers. I've got a Netgear
    WGT624v3 router on one computer and a Belkin Wireless G USB network
    adapter connected to the other. I set up the initial network through
    Netgear's config page. This is the one that delivered the internet
    without any problem. Since I couldn't share files on this link (files
    are set for sharing) I set up another one through the control panel's
    network setup utility. On this one, I get a message of "limited or no
    connectivity" on the wireless network page. That link asks me if I want
    to disconnect when I click on it. The further information for the
    problem reads "the network did not assign this computer an IP address".
    Trying to fix that problem is what has led me back to trying to find
    the router in Device Manager, so it will turn up under Network
    Connections.

    With both networks, I'm running WEP security I've got SP1 and SP2
    installed. I'm also running the free version of zonealarm, Norton
    Antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy.
    What other details would help?

    Thanks,

    Jon