Desperate for help...cant delete file

G

Hi all..
Ok...i've got a file that my AV picks up as a trojan/virus. None of my AV programs can touch it (I have AVG, Spybot, Ad aware, CWShredder, Stinger and Hijack THis - all fully updated)
I cant delete it myself (access denied message) even in safe mode. Tried running all the AV stuff in safe mode and with network off...still no joy.

The only solution i can find is to go in through DOS....however I have an NTFS HD so DOS wont read it. I can find plenty of programs that allow me to make a DOS boot disk that will READ an NTFS drive but wont let me delete any files (or rather will only let me delete ALL my files...or alternatively UNdelete things).
This file I think is responsible for a massive slow down in performance especially on the internet. (very big ping times etc)

The pc is single user with XP(SP1) home, a wireless network, i have full admin (as far as i know).

Any clues anyone????

M

Miha Pihler

Hi,

I am guessing that file is locked by some process. Can you open Task Manager
and go under Processes. Can you see your file listed? If yes right click on
it and click End Process Tree. If it stops successfully then try to delete
it manually.

If this doesn't help we can still try some other "tricks"... :)

Mike

kuju said:
Hi all..
Ok...i've got a file that my AV picks up as a trojan/virus. None of my AV
programs can touch it (I have AVG, Spybot, Ad aware, CWShredder, Stinger and
Hijack THis - all fully updated)
I cant delete it myself (access denied message) even in safe mode. Tried
running all the AV stuff in safe mode and with network off...still no joy.
The only solution i can find is to go in through DOS....however I have an
NTFS HD so DOS wont read it. I can find plenty of programs that allow me to
make a DOS boot disk that will READ an NTFS drive but wont let me delete any
files (or rather will only let me delete ALL my files...or alternatively
UNdelete things).
This file I think is responsible for a massive slow down in performance
especially on the internet. (very big ping times etc)

G

Thanks for the advice guys....finally sorted it (after downloading a few more AV progs that didnt find it....running symantec and panda online scans...searching for 2 days for boot disks with ntfs support....tearing my hair out....bashing head against wall/computer....running amok in mcdonalds..etc etc)

Get this........I moved the offending file to the desktop. Then deleted it. Then emptied the recycle bin. Problem solved. So simple eh? :D

Ask a Question