Desktop XP Vs Laptop Vists

DavidplHinds

hello all, i have a question or 2 , i have both a desktop with Xp (
1.9ghz amd proccessor,1 gig ram ) and a brand new laptop with vista (1.67
ghz, 2 gigs ram ), and my xp boots up a lot faster then the laptop, i dont
have any of the bells and whistles runnin on the vista OS, i have ran a
few diagnostics and they all say vista is running ok, but i know better, ,
i also have a genuine copy of XP which is installed on the desktop,

question # 1, can i install the genuine XP OS that i have on the laptop,
or do i have to buy another genuine XP OS,

question #2 if i re format the HD ( 160 GIGS) on the laptop how much
trouble will i have gettin XP to install , i have read that there are some
issues if one installs XP over a Vista HD

thanks for you help in advance

Richard G. Harper

Answer 1 - No, you need a second copy of XP to install on a second computer.

Answer 2 - You better find out if your laptop manufacturer supports XP,
because if they don't and you can't get the right drivers you could destroy
your laptop.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Try the following Vista performance enhancements:

Open Power Options (its in the Control Panel) and then
place a dot next to High Performance.

Next:

Open Device Manager (its in the Control Panel) and then
right-click on your hard drive (under Disk Drives). Click
on "Policies" and make sure there are check marks next to
"Optimize for Performance", "Enable write caching on
the disk", and "Enable advanced performance", then click OK.

Next, perform a Disk Cleanup:

Click on the blue Vista start button and then on the Computer
entry in the Start Menu. Right-click on your hard drive and
select Properties > Disk Cleanup > Files from all users.....
More Options > Clean Up (System Restore and Shadow Copies).

Charlie Tame

DavidplHinds said:
hello all, i have a question or 2 , i have both a desktop with Xp (
1.9ghz amd proccessor,1 gig ram ) and a brand new laptop with vista
(1.67 ghz, 2 gigs ram ), and my xp boots up a lot faster then the
laptop, i dont have any of the bells and whistles runnin on the vista
OS, i have ran a few diagnostics and they all say vista is running
ok, but i know better, , i also have a genuine copy of XP which is
installed on the desktop,

question # 1, can i install the genuine XP OS that i have on the
laptop, or do i have to buy another genuine XP OS,

question #2 if i re format the HD ( 160 GIGS) on the laptop how much
trouble will i have gettin XP to install , i have read that there are
some issues if one installs XP over a Vista HD

thanks for you help in advance

Well in theory you can use the XP CD to do this but will have to "Buy" a
license, this is likely to be more hassle than just going to a store and
buying a CD, if you can find one that sells it.

Also in theory your CD key will eventually fall foul of WGA / WPA if you
try installing it on both machines, but then that also happens to people
who have perfectly legal installations (Like me) so it's a bit
indeterminate whether you should try buying a key, try buying another CD
or just install it and wait for activation to force you to call
Microsoft and buy a key :) I really am beginning to wonder if MS have
opted for a kind of "Nigerian Scam" scenario whereby they "Spam" every
legal system periodically in the hopes that lots of people fall for it
and just pay :)

If you format the drive no trouble, boot from the CD and just format it,
of course you cannot save files / settings etc.

The issues will be finding drivers that may not be included with XP, so
you need to check the laptop maker's website for XP compatible drivers
now, before you even start, get them onto a CD because you may not get
networking back without them.

You probably WILL invalidate your warranty, if you care about that then
you have to be prepared to put Vista back and therefore need a copy of
the original media or disk Partition it is on.

What do you use the laptop for and does anything specifically have to me
compatible with existing software you use? You could use another OS for
most things except games which would basically cost you nothing at all
except a download and a blank CD-R.

Mike Hall - MVP

Your laptop power options will default to saving power over outright
performance, so you should check this out.

Another factor is laptop video performance. As good as they can look, video
cards in laptops do not have the outright power of a desktop, and much of
this is to keep down the internal temperature and to save on power.

If you want to install XP on the laptop, it must be a generic version or as
supplied by the manufacturer for the make and model. One can't install a
'Dell' XP version on a Toshiba for instance, and there can't be more than
one instance of the same key code installed and in use.

The other major factor is XP driver availability. You will have to check
with the laptop manufacturer web site for the availability of XP drivers for
your exact model. If none are available, you will have to stay with Vista OR
try to get the laptop exchanged for a model which will run XP.

acmz123 spot

No matter your windows system is XP, Win7, or Vista, the easiest way to speed up your PC, make it get rid of freezing up is have a PC cleaner in it; you can try the software "tuneup360". My friends and I all use it, it's seems really useful.

On Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:02 PM Richard G. Harper wrote:
Answer 1 - No, you need a second copy of XP to install on a second computer.

Answer 2 - You better find out if your laptop manufacturer supports XP,
because if they don't and you can't get the right drivers you could destroy
your laptop.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

news:Orocc%[email protected]...

[...]

Gene E. Bloch

I guess we have attracted a new spammer here...And all of my friends
agree :)

No matter your windows system is XP, Win7, or Vista, the easiest way to
speed up your PC, make it get rid of freezing up is have a PC cleaner in
it; you can try the software "xxxxxxxxx". My friends and I all use it,
it's seems really useful.

On Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:58 PM acmz123 spot wrote:
No matter your windows system is XP, Win7, or Vista, the easiest way to speed up your PC, make it get rid of freezing up is have a PC cleaner in it; you can try the software "tuneup360". My friends and I all use it, it's seems really useful.
Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Parsing JSON to C# Classes Via Topsy Otter API and JSON.NET
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...-classes-via-topsy-otter-api-and-jsonnet.aspx

Ken Blake, MVP

No matter your windows system is XP, Win7, or Vista, the easiest way to speed up your PC, make it get rid of freezing up is have a PC cleaner in it; you can try the software "tuneup360". My friends and I all use it, it's seems really useful.

Spam! Programs like that are terrible and are likely to create
problems, not solve them. DavidplHinds, ignore messages from this
spammer.