Desktop User Profiles in W2k - Changing

Larry Huffman

Hello,

I am looking for information on how to change a users profile on a win2K
desktop. Here is the situation. We recently changed our network naming
conventions and in so doing each user has a new profile built. I want to be
able to take these new users and point them at the old profile folder on the
system. The users are on the same machine...I just want to recover all of
the application settings, etc that are in the folders. I have tried copying
everything in and it is apparent that there are registry entries that are
specific to that profile. If I do not find a way to do this, I will have to
reinstall several applications on each user's desktop.

Thanks,

Larry Huffman

Dave Patrick

First logon to the domain at least once as the user, then while logged on as
another user (with administrative rights) Control Panel|System|User
Profiles, select the oldprofile, Copy To, Browse to
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\newdomainprofile
Change "Permitted to use:" to "newdomainprofile" OK

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello,
|
| I am looking for information on how to change a users profile on a win2K
| desktop. Here is the situation. We recently changed our network naming
| conventions and in so doing each user has a new profile built. I want to
be
| able to take these new users and point them at the old profile folder on
the
| system. The users are on the same machine...I just want to recover all of
| the application settings, etc that are in the folders. I have tried
copying
| everything in and it is apparent that there are registry entries that are
| specific to that profile. If I do not find a way to do this, I will have
| reinstall several applications on each user's desktop.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Larry Huffman

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Larry said:
I am looking for information on how to change a users profile on a win2K
desktop. Here is the situation. We recently changed our network naming
conventions and in so doing each user has a new profile built. I want to be
able to take these new users and point them at the old profile folder on the
system. The users are on the same machine...I just want to recover all of
the application settings, etc that are in the folders. I have tried copying
everything in and it is apparent that there are registry entries that are
specific to that profile. If I do not find a way to do this, I will have to
reinstall several applications on each user's desktop.

Hi

We solve this very easily by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
the new user to point to the old user's (Novell) profile folder.

From: Bruce Sanderson ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D$NPCHA.612@tkmsftngp08

If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

More here as well:

Subject: Re: Lost profile when domain name changes
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=262e40881c856d53

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045