desk menu

DW

I used to have a very sweet utility that rested in the tray when I was
running Win98. It was called deskmenu. If you could access the tray when you
had other applications open and filling your screen, you could open any
application that had a shortcut on the desktop....without having to minimize
the window you were working in.

Is there anything like that for WinXp? Or could a shortcut to the desktop
folder be placed in the tray...and could it be opened and the contents
programs inside be started?

thanks

DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

Mungo Bulge

Sure, it's called the Show Desktop shortcut. Click it and the desktop
pops up, click it again and you're back with all the clutter.
If its missing from your Quick Launch,
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=190355 and follow the directions.

|I used to have a very sweet utility that rested in the tray when I
was
| running Win98. It was called deskmenu. If you could access the tray
when you
| had other applications open and filling your screen, you could open
any
| application that had a shortcut on the desktop....without having to
minimize
| the window you were working in.
|
| Is there anything like that for WinXp? Or could a shortcut to the
desktop
| folder be placed in the tray...and could it be opened and the
contents
| programs inside be started?
|
| thanks
|
| DWFII
| In the High Desert of Central Oregon

David Candy

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp

Don't install cabview (updated version incl in 98 base install and later), command prompt here (updated version in XP Powertoys), flexicd (it works in that you can open and close CD Tray but it won't play music), and quickres (Need NT4 powertoy version and then it might do nothing depending on video drivers).

For Sendto the below procedure makes it Win 98 and later compatible

Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys. After installing go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Type in Start Run
regsvr32 sendmail

If Explore From Here causes problems type in Start Run to make compatible.
regsvr32 /i shell32

Send To Tips
a.. To create sub menus on the Send To menu type Sendto in the Start - Run dialog box. Click a blank spot and choose New then Folder. Rename the folder to the name you want on the Send To menu. Drag your shortcuts you want on the menu into this folder.
a.. On Favourites and Shortcuts Send To Clipboard As Contents copies the target path/URL
a.. For Office 2000 and later versions or other applications that use Windows Installer Shortcuts you need to create a normal shortcut to the program files.
a.. Put a shortcut to Sendto folder into the Sendto folder. Then when you want to add a program or folder to the Send To menu right click it, choose Send To then while holding Ctrl + Shift click Sendto.
Send To Key Modifiers
Key Description
File System Objects
Control Copies a file
Shift Moves a file
Control and Shift Creates a shortcut
Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

David Candy

Also not autoplay extender, these features are built into XP.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message http://www.microsoft.com/Windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp

[...]

David, what ever it is you're on it's catchy.

[...]

Ken Blake, MVP

DW said:
I used to have a very sweet utility that rested in the tray when I was
running Win98. It was called deskmenu. If you could access the tray
when you had other applications open and filling your screen, you
could open any application that had a shortcut on the
desktop....without having to minimize the window you were working in.

Is there anything like that for WinXp? Or could a shortcut to the
desktop folder be placed in the tray...and could it be opened and the
contents programs inside be started?

I know nothing about deskmenu, but a google search brings up lots of hits. I
would start by looking at some of these:
http://www.google.com/search?q=deskmenu

DW

Got deskmenu up and running thanks to David...

thanks to all