Deploying WinXP sp2 via a GPO

Harrison Midkiff

Hello:

I am deploying WinXP sp2 as a GPO. I had a report that users using Windows
2000 computers were seeing the GPO trying to apply. I checked the computers
event logs and noticed the following event.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10000
Date: 7/8/2005
Time: 8:31:50 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TPA-RMARTOGLIO
The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: Product: Windows XP Service Pack 2
(1033) -- Nothing to do., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).

I thought the GPO would only apply to computer with the WinXP OS on them?
Am I mistaken...

Harrison Midkiff

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Harrison,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Yes, you are right. The GPO (deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2) should be
applied to the clients with Windows XP OS.

Reference:
Using Group Policy to Deploy Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Deploying WinXP sp2 via a GPO
| Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:41:32 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Hello:
|
| I am deploying WinXP sp2 as a GPO. I had a report that users using
Windows
| 2000 computers were seeing the GPO trying to apply. I checked the
computers
| event logs and noticed the following event.
|
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: MsiInstaller
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 10000
| Date: 7/8/2005
| Time: 8:31:50 AM
| User: N/A
| Computer: TPA-RMARTOGLIO
| The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot
be
| found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
or
| message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
following
| information is part of the event: Product: Windows XP Service Pack 2
| (1033) -- Nothing to do., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).
|
| I thought the GPO would only apply to computer with the WinXP OS on them?
| Am I mistaken...
|
| Harrison Midkiff

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Harrison,

I have not received any responses from you lately, and I am just wondering
if you require further assistance or if the issue has been resolved. Please
let me know if there is anything that I can do for you on it. I look
forward to hearing from you soon.

If you are unable to view the reply to your thread, please send me an email
with a description of the problem and what newsreader you are using.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Ken Zhao [MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:39:52 GMT
| Subject: RE: Deploying WinXP sp2 via a GPO
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Hello Harrison,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| Yes, you are right. The GPO (deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2) should
be
| applied to the clients with Windows XP OS.
|
| Reference:
| Using Group Policy to Deploy Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Deploying WinXP sp2 via a GPO
| | Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:41:32 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| |
| | Hello:
| |
| | I am deploying WinXP sp2 as a GPO. I had a report that users using
| Windows
| | 2000 computers were seeing the GPO trying to apply. I checked the
| computers
| | event logs and noticed the following event.
| |
| | Event Type: Error
| | Event Source: MsiInstaller
| | Event Category: None
| | Event ID: 10000
| | Date: 7/8/2005
| | Time: 8:31:50 AM
| | User: N/A
| | Computer: TPA-RMARTOGLIO
| | The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller )
cannot
| be
| | found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information
| or
| | message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
| following
| | information is part of the event: Product: Windows XP Service Pack 2
| | (1033) -- Nothing to do., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL),
(NULL).
| |
| | I thought the GPO would only apply to computer with the WinXP OS on
them?
| | Am I mistaken...
| |
| | Harrison Midkiff