Deploying to 20 laptops

Ally

Hi,

I need to deploy windows vista enterprise to 20 laptops but don't have
anything like configuration manager 2007 to use.

I've read all the tehcnet info on deploying vista but still don;t know how I
can do this.

I want to build one laptop, put all our busines applications onto it etc and
then copy that single image to another 20 laptops (all same laptop model) and
join to our domain.

Can anyone advise the cheapest, simplest and quickest way I can do this?

Thanking you.

Malke

Ally said:
Hi,

I need to deploy windows vista enterprise to 20 laptops but don't have
anything like configuration manager 2007 to use.

I've read all the tehcnet info on deploying vista but still don;t know how
I can do this.

I want to build one laptop, put all our busines applications onto it etc
and then copy that single image to another 20 laptops (all same laptop
model) and join to our domain.

Can anyone advise the cheapest, simplest and quickest way I can do this?

Acronis True Image Echo Workstation or Acronis True Image Echo Server,
depending on where you want to install the program. Keep your image(s) on
the server and apply the image over the network. The number of machines you
can image at one time depends on your bandwidth.

http://www.acronis.com

Malke

Ally

What would be the process?

Malke said:
Acronis True Image Echo Workstation or Acronis True Image Echo Server,
depending on where you want to install the program. Keep your image(s) on
the server and apply the image over the network. The number of machines you
can image at one time depends on your bandwidth.

http://www.acronis.com

Malke

Ally

What I meant was:

- Install Vista on the computer
- Build the computer as desired installed business app's etc
- Use sysprep
- Copy image of computer using acronis
- Deploy image to remainung computers

is there anything I've missed here?

Malke

Ally said:
What I meant was:

- Install Vista on the computer
- Build the computer as desired installed business app's etc
- Use sysprep
- Copy image of computer using acronis
- Deploy image to remainung computers

You don't need to use sysprep for only 20 computers. Please take the time to
read through how this works at Acronis's website or the website of any
other imaging software you think you'd like. In brief:

1. Create a master machine set up exactly the way you want.

2. Image that machine and save the image on a server.

3. Connect the laptops to the LAN.

4. You can either boot the laptops individually with the imaging program on
a USB stick or do it from the server depending on how you set things up.
Enterprise versions of most imaging software allow you to apply the image
remotely to multiple machines at once and also to image on bare metal with
disparate hardware (Acronis Universal Restore).

Malke

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Malke,
Syprep is required if you are doing imaging.
The OS is considered unsupported if you image and do not use Sysprep.
All of these machines will be on a domain, it's likely there would be
issues if sysprep is not used.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| >From: Malke <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Re: Deploying to 20 laptops
| >Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:38:30 -0800
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
| >
| >Ally wrote:
| >
| >> What I meant was:
| >>
| >> - Install Vista on the computer
| >> - Build the computer as desired installed business app's etc
| >> - Use sysprep
| >> - Copy image of computer using acronis
| >> - Deploy image to remainung computers
| >
| >You don't need to use sysprep for only 20 computers. Please take the
time to
| >read through how this works at Acronis's website or the website of any
| >other imaging software you think you'd like. In brief:
| >
| >1. Create a master machine set up exactly the way you want.
| >
| >2. Image that machine and save the image on a server.
| >
| >3. Connect the laptops to the LAN.
| >
| >4. You can either boot the laptops individually with the imaging program
on
| >a USB stick or do it from the server depending on how you set things up.
| >Enterprise versions of most imaging software allow you to apply the image
| >remotely to multiple machines at once and also to image on bare metal
with
| >disparate hardware (Acronis Universal Restore).
| >
| >Malke
| >--
| >MS-MVP
| >Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
| >http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

Darrell said:
Hello Malke,
Syprep is required if you are doing imaging.
The OS is considered unsupported if you image and do not use Sysprep.
All of these machines will be on a domain, it's likely there would be
issues if sysprep is not used.

Thanks for the clarification.

Malke