deploy(download) and debug a .NET application on a CE device

Rosalind Chen

Hi, All
A similiar message was posted on another newgroup last week. I am still
working on this issue. If anyone have any information, I greatly appreciate
it.

I have built a smart device application by VB in Visual Studio .NET and
I want to download this application to a SH3 device that is running WinCE
4.2 with .NET Compact framework. ActiveSync is running successfully between
this device and my development PC which is Window 2000. But downloading
fails and error is like this:

"Deploying to Windows CE .NET Device using TCP Connect Transport

Error: Cannot establish a connection. Be sure the device is physically
connected to the development computer."

But I can download to Windows CE .net Emulator.

I have installed SQL Server 2.0 CE server and configured IIS. But I
configured IIS after I installed Visual Studio .NET. Is this a problem? What
am I missing here?

Any information is appreciated

Rosalind

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

You should try identifying the processor type of the target device using the
Select Windows CE Device CPU on the Tools menu of a Smart Device project.

If that doesn't seem to help and you have network connectivity to your
device, you can run sdauthutildevice.exe on the *device* and run the Smart
Device Authentication Utility from the VS.NET Tools menu.

Paul T.

Rosalind Chen

Thank you so much for your reply, Paul. I really appreciate it.

Still have question.
1) Under Tools menu of a Smart Device project in VS .NET, I don't see any
option about "Select Windows CE Device CPU". And I checked "Customize" and
"Option" under Tools, there is no "Select Windows CE Device CPU" either.

2) I can run sdauthutildevice.exe on my SH3 device and I saw 2 IP address
show up. One is from our network, another on is from ActiveSync. But again I
can not fine "Smart Device Authentication Utility" from the VS .NET Tools
menu.

Is there something wrong with my VS .NET installation?

Thanks again
Rosalind

Charles Wang

Your problem maybe because of network configuration.
Try to adjust the IP addresses of both netword adapter in same network
segment.

Markus Rytterkull

Hi!

Like Charles Wang says, this might be an IP problem. I
could deploy to emulator/device when connected to my
office network (IPs configurated) but not when standalone.
I installed the Microsoft Loopback Adapter
(support.microsoft.com/support/
kb/articles/Q236/8/69.ASP) which fixed my problems.

/ Markus
Thank you so much for your reply, Paul. I really appreciate it.

Still have question.
1) Under Tools menu of a Smart Device project in VS .NET, I don't see any
option about "Select Windows CE Device CPU". And I checked "Customize" and
"Option" under Tools, there is no "Select Windows CE Device CPU" either.

2) I can run sdauthutildevice.exe on my SH3 device and I saw 2 IP address
show up. One is from our network, another on is from ActiveSync. But again I
can not fine "Smart Device Authentication Utility" from the VS .NET Tools
menu.

Is there something wrong with my VS .NET installation?

Thanks again
Rosalind
"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]"

Rosalind Chen

Thank you so much, guys. It works after I install the Studio Adds-on pack.

Another quesition. There is no Smart Device application for Visual C++
project in VS .NET. How can I build a VC++ project to deploy and debug on CE
device?

Rosalind
Markus Rytterkull said:
[...]

message news:eb4G63x#[email protected]... target device using
the that is running
WinCE device is
physically

.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

You can't. Managed C++ is not supported in .NET CF. If you want to write
in C++, use eMbedded Visual C++ (free from MS).

Paul T.

Markus Rytterkull said:
[...]

message You should try identifying the processor type of the target device using
[...]

Ok, great, thanks, Paul.
This Adds-on pack should be written somewhere in the VS .NET help. I could
not find any information about this utility in the help. This problem took
me 3 days to finally get it.

Rosalind

Rosalind Chen said:
[...]

message
[...]

They probably didn't know about it when the help was finalized. Support for
non-PPC devices was pretty spotty when VS.NET 2003 was initially released
with Smart Device support...

Paul T.