Dell printers

History Fan

Anyone here ever bought a Dell printer? I have a Dell 2400 and was
looking at them online. However, my enthusiasm quickly faded when I
realized I would have to buy the ink cartridges directly from Dell. At
least with a HP, Canon or Epson printer I can get replacement cartridges
from various sources.

WayneM

I thought that Dell printers were just retagged Lexmark printers. If this is
the case, maybe you find the appropriate remanufactured Lexmark cartridges.

Wayne

Miss Perspicacia Tick

History said:
Anyone here ever bought a Dell printer? I have a Dell 2400 and
was looking at them online. However, my enthusiasm quickly faded
when I realized I would have to buy the ink cartridges directly from
Dell. At least with a HP, Canon or Epson printer I can get
replacement cartridges from various sources.

Dell = Lexmark = piece of crap. Why on earth do you want a Lexmark?! They
are (possibly) the worst brand there is!

History Fan

Dell = Lexmark = piece of crap. Why on earth do you want a Lexmark?! They
are (possibly) the worst brand there is!

I never had any intention of buying a Lexmark. I briefly toyed with
the idea of getting a Dell printer, but decided against it due to the fact
you have to get replacement cartridges only from Dell, and I can't visit a
store and preview their printers. All I can do it visit Dell.com and look
at some photos. Currently, I'm leaning towards buying the HP 5150 inkjet
printer. Costs about $90.

Candide

History Fan said:
I never had any intention of buying a Lexmark. I briefly toyed with
the idea of getting a Dell printer, but decided against it due to the fact
you have to get replacement cartridges only from Dell, and I can't visit a
store and preview their printers. All I can do it visit Dell.com and look
at some photos. Currently, I'm leaning towards buying the HP 5150 inkjet
printer. Costs about $90.

FWIW, Consumer Reports recently panned Dell printers for the very reason
that the consumables are only available from one source (Dell).

Candide

Andrew Rossmann

IHateSPAM!! said:
Anyone here ever bought a Dell printer? I have a Dell 2400 and was
looking at them online. However, my enthusiasm quickly faded when I
realized I would have to buy the ink cartridges directly from Dell. At
least with a HP, Canon or Epson printer I can get replacement cartridges
from various sources.

Dell printers, at least the inkjets, are made by Lexmark. Check Lexmark
reviews for equivelent models. The problem is, the Dell printer have been
modified so you CANNOT use Lexmark cartridges. You need to either refill,
find a remanufactured Dell cartridge, or buy ONLY from Dell. I don't know
what the modifications are or if it's possible to modify a Lexmark
cartridge to work in a Dell.

Generally, Lexmark has not had good reviews the past few years. In
particular, it tends to have the highest per-page ink costs.

Hecate

Dell printers, at least the inkjets, are made by Lexmark. Check Lexmark
reviews for equivelent models. The problem is, the Dell printer have been
modified so you CANNOT use Lexmark cartridges. You need to either refill,
find a remanufactured Dell cartridge, or buy ONLY from Dell. I don't know
what the modifications are or if it's possible to modify a Lexmark
cartridge to work in a Dell.

Generally, Lexmark has not had good reviews the past few years. In
particular, it tends to have the highest per-page ink costs.

And, as someone who used one, their paper and transport is
appalling.

Pete

I agree that Dell & Lexmark are crap. I'm in this inkjet business since
1991. Believe me the best bang for your buck is HP for both Inkjet and
Laser. Pete

FredBillie

<< From: "Pete" (e-mail address removed)
Date: Tue, Jun 29, 2004 4:57 PM

Miss Perspicacia Tick said:
Dell = Lexmark = piece of crap. Why on earth do you want a Lexmark?! They
are (possibly) the worst brand there is!
It depends what you are banging. If you are banging out photo quality pictures
many of us would rather choose an Epson or a Canon printer. The prints are
usually better and, in the case of the Canon, a lot faster.

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Pete said:
I agree that Dell & Lexmark are crap. I'm in this inkjet business
since 1991. Believe me the best bang for your buck is HP for both
Inkjet and Laser. Pete

HP?! YHGTBFJ! Canon is the best there is - full stop! HP don't care about
their customers and the printers - and consumables - are over priced crap!