Dell Laptop Recovery

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
OK let's see how things go tomorrow. Thanks for all the feedback.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Is the memory ok mate?

Yep, ran memtest for over an hour, no faults shown.

Also ran a couple of HDD test proggies from Ultimate Boot CD showed HDD to be ok.

Current state of play is Win Vista installed again, running ok and on update I have selected 'Install important updates only automatically' and I'm going to leave it at that.

It did do that I noticed as on reboot after installing some software it went through the 'Stage 1 of 3 update' procedure.

In Device manager I have three system base devices shown as unknown, one of which is probably the inbuilt webcam, not sure what the others are, I'll come back to that tomorrow, I've had enough for one evening.

Have installed Antivir and Superantispyware and all is working well (touch wood).

Have also installed Acronis True Image 10, backed up C drive and copied the backup file to an external HDD. If it fails again (which I doubt now, tbh, I think I've nailed this thing down) I will use PartedMagic to create a partition and hope that I can install backup file to that partition using PartedMagic, I'm not sure if I can do that.

Either that or boot from Acronis True Image recovery disk and try and do it that way. Not foolproof but some insurance is better than no insurance.

I do have to say this Dell is easily the best laptop I've ever used, it has a decent sized screen, looks good and is quite fast, even with Vista.

This has been a learning experience for sure but I wouldn't want to do this crap for a living ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Jeez, I really really really hate both Dell and laptops, I really do :mad:

floppytbootstomp said:
I do have to say this Dell is easily the best laptop I've ever used, it has a decent sized screen, looks good and is quite fast, even with Vista.

Make your mind up Flops :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Make your mind up Flops :p

I still hate laptops and Dell a great deal but I'm honest enough to admit when something works well.

Not for me, not for me at all, yuk.

But what do I know?

I'm just a heathen, use a paper A-Z rather than a Tom-Tom ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
But what do I know?

I'm just a heathen, use a paper A-Z rather than a Tom-Tom ;)

You is a wise man.

Tom-Tom's is for jungle bunnies
laughingsmiley.gif
Real men (barbarian heathens) use paper
nod.gif

Ask a Question