Deleting Win2k install after unattended XP Deployment

Jeff

We are currently rolling out winxp upgrades to our win2k
machines (via unattended setup using unattended.bat) but
I have noticed that after upgrading, the winnt folder
located at C:\ containing the win2k installation is
remaining. This allows the user to boot to win2k or
winxp upon bootup.

Is there a way to allow the XP upgrade to take place
while removing this folder and the ability to select OS'
at bootup? We do not want the users to have to worry
about this. thanks.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Automating Windows XP Installations
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/Install/unattend.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Jeff" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| We are currently rolling out winxp upgrades to our win2k
| machines (via unattended setup using unattended.bat) but
| I have noticed that after upgrading, the winnt folder
| located at C:\ containing the win2k installation is
| remaining. This allows the user to boot to win2k or
| winxp upon bootup.
|
| Is there a way to allow the XP upgrade to take place
| while removing this folder and the ability to select OS'
| at bootup? We do not want the users to have to worry
| about this. thanks.

Rob

you could probably create a guirunonce entry in sysprep.inf to delete the
directory, and find a way to script removal of the appropriate line in
boot.ini (assuming it varies from pc to pc, otherwise you could just copy
your own over the existing one).

Jeff

the sysprep idea wouldnt work, as we are not using
sysprep. we are installing from a winxp distribution
point. sorry, shouldve mentioned that. i dont think we
had this issue when we used sysprep previously.

ill take a look at the boot.ini as im pretty sure it is
the boot record with the win2k info still on it that is
prompting the user to choose the OS. just deleting the
directory wouldnt take care of it i believe. thanks
again tho.

Rob

right, you'd need to do both, modify boot.ini and delete the win2k
directory. (well, it wouldn't prompt if you just modified the boot.ini, but
why leave a couple hundred meg of win2k files hanging around).

even installing from a distribution point, you could add a runonce entry
directly to the registry from your unattend.txt file.