Dektop / explorer icons wrong

This problem all started way back when I installed icon packager or something
like that, that would replace your boring windows icons with cool ones that
you could download from wincustomize.com....anyways, it was nice for a while,
but then all the sudden the normal icons were missing, replaced with the
generic "white page with a picture" icon that usually is showed when explorer
cant recogniz the file, or there is no icon provided. Anyways, basically all
of my icons are like that now. Since then ive uninstalled icon packager plus
installed sp2 thinking it would repair the problem, with no success. I've
gone on here before looking for people with similar problems, and ive tried
such things like adding that registry thing with making the shell icon cache
size bigger, and rebuilding the icon cache, again with no success. I have
found however that in some cases, especially with my desktop icons, that If i
go into the properties of the shortcut and for example goto choose icon,
choose the same icon, and then use apply, it will change it to what it is
supposed to be, but this works on rare occasions. This affects all users of
my computer, affects all icon files, applications, and other files, but
doesn't affect the icons for folders or drive icons. Any help would be
appreciated!

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

Please follow these method one by one.

Method 1:
=========
Note: If Method 1 does not help, proceed to Method 2

For Windows XP Systems:

First, try reinstalling from the INF files.

1. Click Start -> Run
2. Type the following command
3. "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
%windir%\inf\ie.inf"
Note: Replace %windir% with C:\WINDOWS if you have windows installed on C
drive
4. When prompted for the CD, Insert the windows XP cd

This fixes most problems. If not, see below the KB Article:

Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

Method 2:
=========
IMPORTANT: This method contains information about editing the registry.
Before you edit the registry, you should first make a backup copy of the
registry.

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO CHANGE THE ICON FOR THE CURRENT USER:

1. Click Start -> Run
2. Type REGEDIT. Navigate to the following Registry branch:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{
871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

3. Expand the key "DefaultIcon" and double click "Default" string on the
right hand side and change the Value Data to:
shdoclc.dll,-190
4. Select OK and close the Registry editior.
5. Right click on the Desktop and select Refresh to see the changes.

NOTE : If the "DefaultIcon" key does not exist, proceed as follows:

1. From the Edit menu, select New - Key and enter the name of DefaultIcon
and press Enter
2. Expand the key "DefaultIcon" and double click "Default" string on the
right hand side and change the Value Data to:
shdoclc.dll,-190
3. Select OK and close the Registry editior.
4. Right click on the Desktop and select Refresh to see the changes.

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO CHANGE THE ICON FOR ALL THE USER:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

NOTE: This command is case sensitive.
Start Menu - IE
HKEY CLASSES ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f4-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon

Start Menu - OE
HKEY CLASSES ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f5-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

Printers
HKEY CLASSES ROOT\CLSID\{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon

My Network Places: {208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}
My Computer: {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
My Documents: {450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}
Recycle Bin:{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
Default IE Icon: {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--From: "=?Utf-8?B?QW5keQ==?=" <[email protected]>
--Subject: Dektop / explorer icons wrong
--Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:17:01 -0700