    says error detected and some more that I have not time to read as it goes
    completely blank.When I restart pc again all is good;except I would love to
    defragment to improve my pc performance.Any ideas,tips etc...much appreciated.

    Gloria, Sep 26, 2009

  2. "Gloria" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I would really appreciate any responses you may have,anything at all.
    > I can't complete the process of defragmentation.When I first bought my pc
    > was able to do so,then one day downloading something from the web my pc
    > crashed so I had to start it from new...I inserted the disks that came
    > with
    > it but not sure if I did it all properly.
    > Everything works now,except I have discovered I can't defragment....I
    > start
    > the precess and after about 12 minutes or so the screen goes black and it
    > says error detected and some more that I have not time to read as it goes
    > completely blank.When I restart pc again all is good;except I would love
    > defragment to improve my pc performance.Any ideas,tips etc...much
    > appreciated.

    You require 15% free space on the hard drive before Windows Defragmenter
    will work.

    Follow this path: Start > My Computer > Double click My Computer > Right
    click on the C drive icon > Select Properties

    What is the total size of your drive and how much free space do you have?

    While the window is open, click on Tools and start the Error Checking
    Process. Sometimes, faults on the drive can stop defragmentation..

    Assuming that you have more than 15% free space, try defrag again. If it
    fails, it could be indicative of major problems with the hard drive, in
    which case you need to go to the hard drive manufacturer web site and
    download the test utility, then run it..

    Report back with results..

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

    Mike Hall - MVP, Sep 26, 2009

  3. Gloria

    GrahamH Guest

    "Gloria" <> wrote in message
    >I would really appreciate any responses you may have,anything at all.
    > I can't complete the process of defragmentation.When I first bought my pc
    > was able to do so,then one day downloading something from the web my pc
    > crashed so I had to start it from new...I inserted the disks that came
    > with
    > it but not sure if I did it all properly.
    > Everything works now,except I have discovered I can't defragment....I
    > start
    > the precess and after about 12 minutes or so the screen goes black and it
    > says error detected and some more that I have not time to read as it goes
    > completely blank.When I restart pc again all is good;except I would love
    > defragment to improve my pc performance.Any ideas,tips etc...much
    > appreciated.

    First run system file checker for any corrupt files...... sfc /scannow

    Then run error checking on your boot disk by right clicking drive then
    select properties / tools and click error checking, check now and clcik
    start. This will invoke a
    schedule check so click yes then it will test on the boot time.
    Sometimes the file system become corrupt and this will prevent defrag from
    completing.
    Graham... ex comms eng tech..

    GrahamH, Sep 27, 2009