    working fine and holds all 5 FSMO roles?

    What role is being referenced?

    Thanks

    debbierettberg, Dec 18, 2003

  2. In news:0b1a01c3c5aa$dcbbc030$,
    debbierettberg <> posted their thoughts,
    then I offered mine
    > text message on screen is:
    > "role owner attribute could not be read"
    >
    > Error translates into 8366 - ERROR_DS_INVALID_ROLE_OWNER
    >
    > Why are the Windows 2000 servers unable to dcpromo
    > themselves into child domains, when the parent domain is
    > working fine and holds all 5 FSMO roles?
    >
    > What role is being referenced?
    >
    > Thanks

    Tough to say, but the first thing I would do on the machine you are trying
    to promote, make sure the DNS settings only use the DNS server(s) in the
    parent domain and try it again. Let us know how you make out.

    FYI: Only use your internal DNS because AD stores it's service and resource
    locations in DNS. If you use an ISP's DNS, numerous errors will occur. Use a
    forwarder for efficient Internet resolution.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Dec 19, 2003

  3. debbierettberg

    Guest Guest

    ( use tools like DCDIAG, NLTEST, REPLMON)and are
    registered correctly in DNS , make sure the systems that
    are being promoted can resolve name queries to the root
    domain and systems, DNS,DNS,DNS !!!

    Guest, Dec 20, 2003