Day Date Problem

P

PeteB

I'm trying to set up a spreadsheet which when I input a date in one column (B), it will automatically fill in the day of the week in the next (C).

I've used the formula:
=IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=1,"Sun",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=2,"Mon",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=3,"Tues",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=4,"Wed",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=5,"Thurs",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=6,"Fri",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=7,"Sat","")))))))

This works ok when CELL B9 is filled with a date but when B9 is empty it returns 'Sat'.

How can I adjust this so that C9 would remain blank if B9 is blank.

Any help would be appreciated because this is starting to drive me up the wall.

P

PeteB

Thanks very much for that - works perfectly. A helluva lot more straight
forward than my way.

D

Dave G

A solution I use is as follows:

It involves a very simple "IF" formula coupled with the "ISBLANK" formula, the WEEKDAY formula and a simple "VLOOKUP" formula. If you're not familiar with vlookup have a go anyway because vlookup is v useful.

In my example the date is input in column B and the day is displayed in the adjacent cell in column A...
Firstly set up the vlookup cells somewhere out of the way. Here's an example:

1 (in cell Y1) Monday (in cell Z1)
2 (in cell Y2) Tuesday (in cell Z2)
3 Wednesday
4 Thursday

and so on up to

7 (in cell Y7) Sunday (in cell Z7)

Next... in column A enter the formula:

=IF(ISBLANK(B1),"",VLOOKUP(WEEKDAY(B1,2),$Y$1:$Z$7,2))

Copy this down the column as far as you want to go and then, whenever you enter a date in column B the adjacent cell in column A will display the actual day.

Hope this helps... if it's tricky post a reply here and I'll send you a small spreadsheet with it on

Dave G

I'm trying to set up a spreadsheet which when I input a date in one column (B), it will automatically fill in the day of the week in the next (C).

I've used the formula:
=IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=1,"Sun",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=2,"Mon",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=3,"Tues",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=4,"Wed",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=5,"Thurs",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=6,"Fri",IF(WEEKDAY(B9)=7,"Sat","")))))))

This works ok when CELL B9 is filled with a date but when B9 is empty it returns 'Sat'.

How can I adjust this so that C9 would remain blank if B9 is blank.

Any help would be appreciated because this is starting to drive me up the wall.

Ask a Question