Date/Time stamp util for Windows XP and/or 2000

Phred

G'day mates,

For years I used Norton's FD to time-stamp files when necessary, but
recent versions of software seem less and less inclined to tolerate
such mucking about with the system. For example, I've discovered that
Windows 2000 Pro objects to FD accessing the HDD (though perhaps this
has more to do with corporate security settings than the actual OS?).

Anyway, the question is: Can anyone recommend a reliable program to
do this sort of thing on modern Windows systems, please? Freeware
would be nice if it's up to scratch; but it's not essential as I'm
prepared to fork out a bit for a good product if necessary.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Phred.

Vrodok the Troll

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:45:35 GMT, in Newsgroup--> alt.comp.freeware, the
personage of (e-mail address removed) (Phred), courtesy of Message-id
G'day mates,

For years I used Norton's FD to time-stamp files when necessary, but
recent versions of software seem less and less inclined to tolerate
such mucking about with the system. For example, I've discovered that
Windows 2000 Pro objects to FD accessing the HDD (though perhaps this
has more to do with corporate security settings than the actual OS?).

Anyway, the question is: Can anyone recommend a reliable program to
do this sort of thing on modern Windows systems, please? Freeware
would be nice if it's up to scratch; but it's not essential as I'm
prepared to fork out a bit for a good product if necessary.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Phred.

Attribute Changer

http://www.petges.com/

v5.23

Eric

G'day mates,

For years I used Norton's FD to time-stamp files when necessary, but
recent versions of software seem less and less inclined to tolerate
such mucking about with the system. For example, I've discovered that
Windows 2000 Pro objects to FD accessing the HDD (though perhaps this
has more to do with corporate security settings than the actual OS?).

Anyway, the question is: Can anyone recommend a reliable program to
do this sort of thing on modern Windows systems, please? Freeware
would be nice if it's up to scratch; but it's not essential as I'm
prepared to fork out a bit for a good product if necessary.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Phred.

Not sure what FD does, but when I want to change time stamps I use
Proporties Plus <http://www.ne.jp/asahi/cool/kish/pplusmain.htm>

"PropertiesPlus is a free add-on for your Windows Explorer. It adds
additional functionality to your right-click menu under the menu
option PropertiesPlus. Here you'll be able to modify file attributes,
file extensions, and the time stamps of single files, multiple files,
or files contained within the folders. Display the bytes allocated.
This program is simple to install and easy to use. If you frequently
require more control over your files than that allowed by the base
Windows application, PropertiesPlus will allow you considerable
flexibility."

They have stopped development of it but it already works on
Windows95/98/Me/NT4.0/2000/XP and is freeware.

Eric

charles

For years I used Norton's FD to time-stamp files when necessary, but
recent versions of software seem less and less inclined to tolerate
such mucking about with the system. For example, I've discovered that
Windows 2000 Pro objects to FD accessing the HDD (though perhaps this
has more to do with corporate security settings than the actual OS?).

FD works fine on this win2kpro box, maybe your problem is ntfs.

If you're looking for a command line utility that does more and better
than FD try touch.exe in the Win32 Console ToolBox at
http://stevemiller.net/apps/

Thorkild Dalsgaard

For years I used Norton's FD to time-stamp files...
Can anyone recommend a reliable program to
do this sort of thing on modern Windows systems, please?

SetFileDate 1.0

Utility to alter the time and date of one or more selected files.
There's several such utilities available,
but we've found most of them to be too large,
too complex or too expensive.
SetFileDate is small, easy to use, and free.

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

Regards
Thorkild Dalsgaard

Phred

SetFileDate 1.0
Utility to alter the time and date of one or more selected files.
There's several such utilities available,
but we've found most of them to be too large,
too complex or too expensive.
SetFileDate is small, easy to use, and free:
http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

G'day Thor, Charles, Eric

Thanks for your various input. However, I notice Thor's comments are
a copy of the info on that URL.

Are you also saying you have used this program and found it
satisfactory, Thor?

Incidentally, while SetFileDate claims to be "small", I see that the
setup.exe file is about 430 KB -- compare that with Norton's FD.EXE
which is less that 10 KB. :)

Perhaps I wasn't clear that I'm not looking for a *Windows* program as
such, because I'm quite happy with a consol interface. It's just that
I had the impression Norton's FD had been "killed" by modern Windows
OSes. But I see from Charles that FD should work with Win2Kpro, so my
problem may just be with NTFS or corporate security settings.

I wonder how FD will work under WinXP SP2? That update is reported
to have altered the behaviour of quite a few programs, but MS probably
didn't test stuff from 13 years ago. ;-)

The solution suggested by Eric looks interesting too. I might give
that a trial. (Can it be uninstalled! ?) As an addon to Win Explorer
it could be quite convenient -- but I've never really got into that
sort of addon stuff before. It has always seemed to me such things
could introduce stability problems unless *very* well coded.

Cheers, Phred.

Eric

Perhaps I wasn't clear that I'm not looking for a *Windows* program as
such, because I'm quite happy with a consol interface. It's just that
I had the impression Norton's FD had been "killed" by modern Windows
OSes. But I see from Charles that FD should work with Win2Kpro, so my
problem may just be with NTFS or corporate security settings.

Ah, I still miss the old Norton command-line file search utility.
Don't really have a need to use it any more, but I remember how fast
and easy it was. And the batch file enhancer saved me many times.

The solution suggested by Eric looks interesting too. I might give
that a trial. (Can it be uninstalled! ?) As an addon to Win Explorer
it could be quite convenient -- but I've never really got into that
sort of addon stuff before. It has always seemed to me such things
could introduce stability problems unless *very* well coded.

Never had it do anything strange. It even leaves the existing
"Properties" choice alone. Yes, it can be uninstalled via "add/remove
programs" in the Control Panel.

Eric

Phred

Thanks for the additional comment, Eric.

(e-mail address removed) (Phred) wrote in message
Ah, I still miss the old Norton command-line file search utility.
Don't really have a need to use it any more, but I remember how fast
and easy it was. And the batch file enhancer saved me many times.

Never had it do anything strange. It even leaves the existing
"Properties" choice alone. Yes, it can be uninstalled via "add/remove
programs" in the Control Panel.

Eric

Cheers, Phred.

Hunter1

Eric said:
Ah, I still miss the old Norton command-line file search utility.
Don't really have a need to use it any more, but I remember how fast
and easy it was. And the batch file enhancer saved me many times.

Yeah, I remember when I first took a look at NDOS batch
enhancements, as far as scripting from the commandline it
was a case of "We're not in the stoneage any more Toto!"