data validation input message

G

hi, I have a couple of questions (excel 2000)

i have three columns adjacent to each other. The 1st uses data validation (INDIRECT/named ranges) to populate a drop down list in column 2. Both display the same message (ie. select from drop down list). I also want users to type in the 3rd column, with a message saying, "type in unit, click on Data tab for list of units). However, my input message is displayed in exactly the same place as the other two. How do I change the position so that the 3rd input message is displayed in a different place; and can this be formatted in any way (ie. change colour)? VB code is ok.

Also, is there any way of formatting data validation cells so that the drop down arrow/or cell format is different in some way to the other cells (like a combo box in access).

and, ok, three questions - when i did the data validation it would not let me put in spaces (ie. Director General) and forced me to name the range Director_General. I don't want to have the names displayed in this format. Can this be amended in any way

Thanks very much!

D

Debra Dalgleish

If an input message is moved, all of the data validation messages on the
sheet will appear in the same spot, until the file is closed, and reopened.

To make the cells with data validation more obvious, you can add a
comment to the cell, which creates a red triangle in the cell. Or,
colour the cells, or add a different border.

There are instructions here for using two word items with Indirect:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html#TwoWord

Ask a Question