Data Sort Unique

wabbleknee

Excel 2010. I have 8 columns of data and I want a unique sort of all these
columns based on the 2nd column (name) i.e. After a unique sort, I only
want the first occurrence of the persons name. It is easy enough to do
with just one column, but the sort must carry all the other data with it.
Tx

GS

wabbleknee formulated the question :
Excel 2010. I have 8 columns of data and I want a unique sort of all these
columns based on the 2nd column (name) i.e. After a unique sort, I only
want the first occurrence of the persons name. It is easy enough to do with
just one column, but the sort must carry all the other data with it. Tx

You can select all the columns of data to be sorted and specify which
column to use as the sort criteria. Check onlline help for examples and
a description of the various sort criteria you can use.

Don Guillett

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org
Send your file with a complete explanation and before/after examples
to (e-mail address removed)

wabbleknee

"Don Guillett" wrote in message

wabbleknee formulated the question :

You can select all the columns of data to be sorted and specify which
column to use as the sort criteria. Check onlline help for examples and
a description of the various sort criteria you can use.

--
Yes, sorting of the data is easy and selecting the column to sort by, but
that is NOT the question. i.e. If I am sorting by the last name "jones"

"wabbleknee" wrote in message

"Don Guillett" wrote in message

wabbleknee formulated the question :

You can select all the columns of data to be sorted and specify which
column to use as the sort criteria. Check onlline help for examples and
a description of the various sort criteria you can use.

--
Yes, sorting of the data is easy and selecting the column to sort by, but
that is NOT the question. i.e. If I am sorting by the last name "jones"
and there are more than one occurrence of that same person "Jones" after
the sort, I want only one occurrence of the row that contains "Jones".
Under sort, advanced you have the option of Unique, meaning only one
occurrence. In the original post " After a unique sort, I only want the
first occurrence of the persons name"

An example perhaps: 3 columns 4 rows

Before

Jones | Bob | Fl
Smith | Joe | MA
Jones | Bob | Tx
Jones | Bob | MN

AFter Unique sort first column

Jones | Bob | FL
Smith | Joe | MA

[...]

I finally found a method to achieve what I wanted, much easier then the
method I was using.
Used the "remove duplicates" button which to my satisfaction allowed one to
choose the column when removing duplicates (or allowing only unique values)
to remain.