Cutting MP3 files into smaller pieces

Marty

Does anyone know of freeware that would allow me to take ann hoour long
MP3 audio file and convert it to four separately playable 15 minute MP3
files. I have an FM transmitter for my car that plays MP3 files on my
car's FM radio, using a USB flash memory stick. When I turn off the
ignition of my car, the FM transmitter cannot retain where I left off
in listening to an audip file.
I am, however, able to step from one file to the next, thus my interest
in smaller files.

jb

Marty said:
Does anyone know of freeware that would allow me to take ann hoour long
MP3 audio file and convert it to four separately playable 15 minute MP3
files. I have an FM transmitter for my car that plays MP3 files on my
car's FM radio, using a USB flash memory stick. When I turn off the
ignition of my car, the FM transmitter cannot retain where I left off
in listening to an audip file.
I am, however, able to step from one file to the next, thus my interest
in smaller files.

It's easy with Audacity. Click in the waveform, shift+click somewhere
else, then copy/trim/etc.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You will also need to download the lame encoder dll and locate it in
Audacity (File->Preferences->File Formats).

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm

Ben

Marty said:
Does anyone know of freeware that would allow me to take ann hoour long
MP3 audio file and convert it to four separately playable 15 minute MP3
files.

MP3DirectCut is the ideal tool for this job :)

"mp3DirectCut is a non-destructive audio editor and recorder for MP3.
You can directly cut, copy, paste or change the volume with no need to
decompress your files into a pcm format. This saves encoding time and
preserves the original audio quality, because absolutely nothing must be
re-encoded."

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/#mp3dc

Marty said:
Does anyone know of freeware that would allow me to take ann hoour long
MP3 audio file and convert it to four separately playable 15 minute MP3
files. I have an FM transmitter for my car that plays MP3 files on my
car's FM radio, using a USB flash memory stick. When I turn off the
ignition of my car, the FM transmitter cannot retain where I left off
in listening to an audip file.
I am, however, able to step from one file to the next, thus my interest
in smaller files.

I'm curious. I have a CD player in my car. It remembers the exact spot it
was at when the ignition turns off, and resumes playing when you start the
car. It should be even simpler using a memory stick. I also have an iRiver
mp3 player that remembers where it left off and resumes from that spot.
It'll even do it if I remove the battery and replace it the next morning.

IOW, something's fishy here.

Norm

Marty

The difference is that you have a CD =player= and a mp3 =player=. My
memory stick is passive, not a player. My FM transmitter is designed
to attach to a player or a memory stick. When attached to a player, it
expects the player to remember.

seaside

Marty,

Try http://www.yaosoft.com/ There are three methods which you can employ
to split your tracks - split by section, split by time and split by
size. I use it for a pretty similar reason to yourself.

Susan Bugher

seaside said:

http://www.yaosoft.com/faq.htm
"This great MP3 splitter software can be yours for only. . . "

revised link (for Mark C's summary of links):
http://www.yaosoft.com/site_has_only_Payware_Apps

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware