Custom Buttons

Svilen Pachedjiev

I had several custom buttons to activate some macroses in my Excel but
suddenly today they disappeared. It happen for the second time.
The macroses are still there in my excel10.xlb.

Could someone tell me where these custom buttons are saved in excel by
default, and how could i restore them?

Svilen Pachedzhiev

Harald Staff

Hi

menu Tools > Options > View
ensure "Show all" is selected under "Objects"

HTH. Best wishes Harald

Gord Dibben

Svilen

To clarify(hopefully).........

First of all, how did you create the buttons and where were they placed?

If from the Forms Toolbar or Control Toolbox and placed on the worksheet, they
would be saved with the workbook and Jon's advice may restore them.

If from Toolbar Customization, they would be saved in your Excel10.xlb

Macros are NOT saved in your Excel10.xlb.

Macros are saved with the workbook or Personal.xls or in a *.xla file if you
created one.

Perhaps the Excel10.xlb file has gone bad.

Do a search for it.........you may find more than one. Make some changes to a
Toolbar or Menu and close Excel. See which Excel10.xlb file changes.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Svilen Pachedjiev

I made my buttons from Toolbar Customization (in order to start some
macros). And you are right, Jon's advice didn't work :-(
Also you are right for the saving of the macros, they are saved in my
personal.xls.

I have only one Excel10.xlb file and if i change toolbar it changes as well.

And as I follow you my Excel10.xlb has "gone bad" (whatever it means).

So guys now the question is how could it happen (as I said it happen for the
second time) and what I should do to prevent my excel toolbar to not crash
again. And if you don't know what could be the reason, then do you think if
I make back up of my personal.xls and excel10.xlb that I could restore the
toolbar after next crash?

....And please asume that I'm not a beginner in Excel and usually I don't do
stupid things while I'm working on that program :)

Kind regards,

Svilen

Gord Dibben

Svilen

The Excel10.xlb file can become unstable if it gets too large. It has been
reported that the threshhold is somewhere above 30kb.

I have bloated mine much larger with no effects, but may be just fortunate.

Yes, you should save a backup of Personal.xls and the Excel10.xlb files.

The best way to set up customizations is to create the buttons/toolbars/menus
through VBA so they appear when the workbook is opened and disappear when it
is closed.

Some instructions and code here.........

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dno97ta/html/ofcmdbar.asp

Also John Walkenbach's downloadable MENUMAKR.XLS is a handy tool for
customizing menus.

Find it and sample code for creating "on the fly" toolbars.

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/commandbars.htm

You could add the code to your Personal.xls and the Tookbar would be created
whenever that file opens.

Gord

Svilen Pachedjiev

Thank you for the help!
Now I make a backup of these files.
It was strange that my Excel10.xlb was over 100kb, but nevermind. I deleted
it and started from "0". :)

Kind regards,
Svilen