css file seems to put robots into endless loop

Discussion in 'Microsoft Frontpage' started by Catherine Jo Morgan, Mar 28, 2004.

  1. In in an SEO class that urged me to change my site's internal links from
    relative ones to absolute links. Yesterday after I changed my internal links
    to absolute ones, I had Atomz do a new index of the site. I have the free
    search account. What a mess!

    I never looked at the index logs before so I can't tell whether or not this
    same thing was happening earlier - but the Atomz robot seems to get hung up
    with the external css page. It looks to my uneducated eyes as if the robot
    gets caught up in a loop, cycling through the css page again and again. I'm
    concerned that search engine robots will have the same problem and give up.

    Atomz did finally complete the crawl, and I think the search is working ok.
    But now I get two error messages in the index log, which I didn't get before
    (when the links were all relative) and I'm baffled as to what's wrong or how
    to fix it. The error message seems to say that the URL is too long - but of
    course with css repeated 50 times (my estimate) it WOULD be too long....

    Anyone know how to fix this, or where else to go to ask how to fix it? Since
    the Atomz search is free, I don't see any way to get tech support beyond
    what's on their site. There's nothing about this.

    I'm concerned that if the Atomz robot has this much trouble crawling my
    site, then search engine robots will too.

    Here are the error messages:
    1: 03/28 04:06:39 ERROR: HTTP error status 414 returned to page
    http://www.cjmorgan.com/articles_for_artists/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from
    http://www.cjmorgan.com/articles_for_artists/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
    2: 03/28 04:14:57 ERROR: HTTP error status 414 returned to page
    http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/welded_metal_art.htm/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/unblocking_psychic_energy.css from
    http://www.cjmorgan.com/vessels/welded_metal_art.htm/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css/css
    /css/css/css/css/css/site_map_abstract_art.htm.
    View 50 lines at a timeView 100 lines at a timeView 200 lines at a timeView
    the whole log Only show lines with errors.
    Privacy Statement | Terms of Use Copyright © 1999-2004 Atomz Corporation.
    All rights reserved.

    Catherine Jo Morgan
    Art for Energy - http://www.cjmorgan.com
    online artist journal, Hand Forged Vessels:
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0120691/
    mailto:

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Mar 28, 2004

  2. Hi Catherine,

    Why did you change your relative links to abs ones? I would strongly recommend that you change them to relative links. Using
    relative links have very strong advantages over abs links such as being able to place the web at any level within a web tree.

    --
    Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
    http://www.websunlimited.com

    MD Websunlimited, Mar 28, 2004

  3. Also by changing your link to absolute, FP will no longer manage any of your links if you rename or
    move pages or images.

    WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
    http://www.ycoln-resources.com
    FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

    Thomas A. Rowe, Mar 28, 2004
  4. Yes, for this reason I was very reluctant to do it, but the teacher of this
    SEO class insists that without absolute links, Google page rank will be
    greatly diluted.

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Mar 28, 2004
  5. I suggest that you visit and post a question at:

    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/

    to verify what the teacher of the SEO class is stating.

    Thomas A. Rowe, Mar 28, 2004
  6. Catherine,

    IMHO, find a different teacher.

    Go to google and select any topic, then link to a displayed web site. View the source, how many of the links are abs?

    --
    Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
    http://www.websunlimited.com

    MD Websunlimited, Mar 28, 2004
  7. Thanks. I registered and posted my question there. This looks like a great
    resource.

    I do have a backup of course, of the site still with internal links all
    relative.

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Mar 28, 2004
  8. I'll do some more research as you suggest.
    I'm a little concerned too that at some point Google could decide that this
    is an SEO spam technique. OTOH, what I've read online so far is split about
    50:50 between using absolute vs. relative links for internal site links.

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Mar 28, 2004
  9. Catherine Jo Morgan

    Steve Easton Guest

    I would tend to *disagree* with your teacher.
    All that accomplishes is fooling the server into thinking that every request
    for a page is coming from an external source, and therefore causing the
    server logs to show your own site as the top referring site.
    Search engines don't scan server logs.

    --
    Steve Easton
    Microsoft MVP FrontPage

    Steve Easton, Mar 28, 2004
  10. Here's the teacher's theory - that if the index page isn't specified
    internally the same way it is from external links into the site, then this
    will dilute the hits & links that go toward page rank. She asked us to test
    google listings for the domain name including www. and compare it with
    google listings for the domain name without www. It's true that I get a
    different list of pages each way.

    But I'm stil considering about this. It's troubling me.

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Mar 28, 2004
  11. Catherine Jo Morgan

    Steve Easton Guest

    OK.
    The difference between what you see using www and not using www doesn't have
    anything to do with the internal links in your site.

    It has to do with how the name servers are configured by your hosting
    company.
    When the name servers are configured correctly http://www.domain.com and
    www.domain.com will lead to the same place with or without www.

    Example: http://www.95isalive.com and http://95isalive.com

    Without the http:// header www.95isalive.com and 95isalive.com are not the
    same. Because without either A, the http:// header or B, the www world wide
    web designator, a browser does not recognize the domain name by itself as
    being a hyperlink.

    Additionally, Google ( as does most search engines ) finds and searches web
    sites by finding them via the Domain Name Server system ( also called DNS
    system ) which is the same system used by your computer/ ISP to convert one
    of the links above to the actual web site location.

    Once Google has found a domain in the DNS servers it is automatically
    directed to index.html as a function of the server pointing it to the
    default page. In this case index.html.
    Once the web crawler has entered the site it follows the internal links in
    the site and automatically prefixes http://www.domain.com to any *internal*
    links it finds.
    If it has crawled the site as a result of following http://www.domain.com as
    directed by the DNS then all references will be to
    http://www.domain.com/filename
    If it has been directed via http://domain.com then the references will be to
    http://domain.com/filename

    The major difference is this:
    Not all hosting companies automatically configure their name servers to
    propagate both http://www.domain.com and http://domain.com because the one
    with www is the default setting in the local name server and is what is
    forwarded/propagated to the DNS system.

    This is the difference your teacher sees.

    Your host configures name Servers. The name servers * send the domain
    address information out to the DNS system.
    You click a link, your computer checks a Domain Name Server, which then
    points your computer to actual IP address of the domain.

    Steve Easton
    Microsoft MVP FrontPage
    95isalive
    This site is best viewed............
    ........................with a computer

    Steve Easton, Mar 28, 2004
  12. With or without the www is a completely different issue from using or not using absolute URLs.

    Thomas A. Rowe, Mar 28, 2004
  13. However using or not using www or https makes a difference if using server-side scripting the uses
    session, as each would create a different session:

    http://www.yourdomain.com
    http://yourdomain.com
    https://www.yourdomain.com
    https://yourdomain.com

    The above would create 4 separate user sessions for the same user if your internal links use any of
    a full absolute URL.

    Thomas A. Rowe, Mar 28, 2004
  14. Whew. I was able to republish the site with relative links, from a backup
    copy. I've been publishing a backup copy to an external hard drive every
    time I make substantial changes in the site. This made a LOT of difference
    in fixing my problem.

    Now Atomz indexes the site in less than 2 minutes again, with no errors. In
    the past 2 days while the site used absolute links, over half my recorded
    page views were the 404 error page. Not a good sign! I expect this to
    improve today.

    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your taking the time to help.
    --
    Catherine Jo Morgan
    http://www.cjmorgan.com

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Mar 29, 2004