Creative 1241E DVD drive.

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Maybe I can pick the brains of someone here ;)

Okay - my DVD drive has just stopped recognising DVDs. I insert one, it "thinks" for a bit, the light flashes, and it ejects the disk. However, it accepts and reads CDs just fine.
:crazy:

It also displays some other strange behaviour from time to time. Such as once when I bootd, it randomly opened and closed the tray, and another time it wouldn't open at all.

Strange, yes? Is it a hardware fault or is a fixable firmware thing? Has anyone else had / seen this problem? Thanks ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You may get some help with these Updated Drivers however, I have troubles and many other problems with Creative's CD Rom & DVD's that I'm inclined to think you should see about a replacement. I’ll never buy another.

Have you updated the "firmware" lately? It may help.

Mucks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just been having probs with my Creative 12 x DVD.

I suddenly couldn't copy an audio CD using Nero 5551, Nero wouldn't recognise the DVD drive so I had to upgrade to Nero V5582 for it to work.

It worked/works OK with Clone CD.

I'm using Intervideo's WIN DVD software for DVD movie playback, it came with the drive. Works OK, but it's a bit noisy.

All in all, I'm not that impressed with it. It's 13 months old now, time to get me's a Liteon :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi Quads, I'm getting dizzy with all this cross forum talk! :crazy: Hehe...

But yes it worked OK, I've just posted at BBF about it.

Only prob was my old serial number for V5551 wasn't valid for V5582 so I had to secure a new serial number.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Originally posted by floppybootstomp
Hi Quads, I'm getting dizzy with all this cross forum talk! :crazy: Hehe...

But yes it worked OK, I've just posted at BBF about it.

Only prob was my old serial number for V5551 wasn't valid for V5582 so I had to secure a new serial number.

Thats funny cause I bought the drive (Plextor) and Nero 5.0 was bundled with it. I continue to upgrade and now using 5.5.8.2 and I never got any message that the upgrade was invalid. I guess I am lucky in that sense.

Anyway, I am glad you got the thing sorted out!

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Originally posted by james
Did that player come with a hardware decoder card,Kristel?

Yes it did - the DXR3 (beta drivers only in W2K >.< )

I tried updating the firmware (0.39 I think) and it didn't help.

Think I'll sell a kidney then go out and buy a new one ;) I got a friend of mine one of those nice slot drives (that don't use a tray) - and I like the look of that - may treat myself!

I'm very disollusioned with creative now. The Soundcards were a letdown after all the hype (SonicFury XG was so much better than my Player5.1!) and they are terrible at supporting new operating systems with updated drivers (look at all the complaints on the DXR3 creative forum!) ;) and their DVD drive gave out just after the warrenty. Drat!

Reaction score
My advice to you, on your next upgrade, stay away from Creative.

Not only do they have horrible driver support (I'm using Live! drivers from 1999, they're the newest), but they have bugs with VIA chipsets.

As for CD-ROM drives, my old Creative 4x wasn't compatible with MS-DOS, so once you formatted the drive, you needed to boot off a floppy, a real issue.

Bah, no more Creative for me.

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Creative are terrible. I will not buy anything else from them at least until I start reading about how shiningly good their support has become :)

Reaction score
out of three cretive drives, only one remains in a working PC. The dvd drive with dxr3...yeah that was good...not! The 52X cd-rom died after a few months (common problem)...but on the plus side my Creative CD-RW is fine...at the moment. Get a samsung or song drive, they are cheap and very good for the money!

Phil

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
pj51182 said:
out of three cretive drives, only one remains in a working PC. The dvd drive with dxr3...yeah that was good...not! The 52X cd-rom died after a few months (common problem)...but on the plus side my Creative CD-RW is fine...at the moment. Get a samsung or song drive, they are cheap and very good for the money!

Phil
Aye, I'd agree the Samsung DVD-ROM drives are good, I have a couple, both replaced faulty drives, both Liteons, they're both around 9 months old, both black (if that makes any difference, hehe) and both handle all the disks I can throw at them, including those disks that other drives turned up their nose at.

What's a song drive, btw?

Ask a Question