Creating Printouts of disks

I would like to print out a document that will tell me what documents, files,
directories and what files and items are under that directory. I would
prefer to show all details as when created and when last motified, etc. I
was able to print the main directory of a cd, but did not show subdirectories
and files. Any ideas? Your help is very appreciated. Thanks. Paul

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Paul said:
I would like to print out a document that will tell me what documents, files,
directories and what files and items are under that directory. I would
prefer to show all details as when created and when last motified, etc. I
was able to print the main directory of a cd, but did not show subdirectories
and files. Any ideas? Your help is very appreciated. Thanks. Paul

Try this:

- Click Start / Run
- Type cmd {OK}
- Type these commands:
cd /d e:\ (if E: is your CD drive letter)
dir /s > c:\dir.txt
notepad c:\dir.txt

Add a title and/or a date, then print the listing.

You can automate the process by implementing the
tips from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Open a command prompt (start/run cmd), go to the folder of choice.

Run "dir> file.txt". This will create a text file of the contents of the
folder that you can open in notepad for printing or saving.

If you wish to add the contents of the subdirectories, run "dir
<drive><folder> /s> file.txt".

You may find this useful:

HOW TO: Add "Print Directory" Feature for Folders in Windows XP [Q321379]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

If you head to google.com and search on "free directory printer", you will
also find many other useful tools.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Pegasus \(MVP\)

How boring: Two MVPs saying almost exactly the same
thing at exactly the same time. Are you sure you're not my
twin brother?

Paul said:
I would like to print out a document that will tell me what documents,
files,
directories and what files and items are under that directory. I would
prefer to show all details as when created and when last motified, etc. I
was able to print the main directory of a cd, but did not show
subdirectories
and files. Any ideas? Your help is very appreciated. Thanks. Paul

David Candy

1/
You can drag a folder from (say explorer) on to the file. You can put it in
Sendto, type sendto in Start Run, copy the file into the sendto folder, then
right click the folder you want to list, Send To, PrintDetailsAppend.
Sending To simulates a drag and drop.

Then import the file into excel, delete the columns you don't want (as most
are blank for any individual type of file, eg MP3 don't have a Date Picture
Taken and JPEGs don't have a Genre property), sort it on description and
delete the files you don't want. That will leave just the properties and
files you want. This is the most general purpose way I can think of to meet
everyones needs.

A drive is the same as a folder for these purposes.

Attached is a VBScript that generate the shell properties (what you see or
could see in Explorer). It is a 51 column csv. There is about 40 properties
on a standard XP and I've allowed about 10 columns for custom properties
that applications may add. Those whove seen it before this one automatically
finds the desktop rather than editing the script. To use, drop a folder on
it or place in Sendto and send a folder to it. If using the for command
(below) you must run it once whereever you put it so it can be found.

To do sub folders type in a command prompt in the folder that you want to
start in (It also does the parent folder - a quirk of For)
for /r %A in (.) do start "" /w "PrintDetailsAppend" "%~dpA"

It creates a file on the desktop called Folder Property List.txt

Copy the following line into a text document and rename it to
PrintDetailsAppend.vbs

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\" & Wscript.ScriptName & "\", Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName &
Chr(34)
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\" & Left(Wscript.ScriptName, Len(Wscript.ScriptName)-3) & "exe" & "\",
Chr(34) & Wscript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34)

Set Fldr=objShell.NameSpace(Ag(0))

Set FldrItems=Fldr.Items

Set DeskFldr=objShell.Namespace(16)
FName=fso.buildpath(DeskFldr.self.path, "Folder Property List.txt")

Set ts = fso.OpenTextFile(FName, 8, vbtrue)

For x = 0 to 50
t1 = t1 & Fldr.GetDetailsOf(vbnull, x) & " (Shell)" & vbtab
Next
ts.write FLDR.self.path &vbcrlf
ts.Write T1 & vbcrlf
T1=""

For Each FldrItem in FldrItems
For x = 0 to 50
t1 = t1 & Fldr.GetDetailsOf(FldrItem, x) & vbtab
Next
t1=t1 & vbcrlf
ts.Write T1
T1=""
Next

David Candy

I'm sure he's not your brother. You are really ugly, Rick's not.

Paul said:
I would like to print out a document that will tell me what documents,
files,
directories and what files and items are under that directory. I would
prefer to show all details as when created and when last motified, etc. I
was able to print the main directory of a cd, but did not show
subdirectories
and files. Any ideas? Your help is very appreciated. Thanks. Paul

David Candy

I am Pegasus, my name mea-eans horse
And I can fly-y with you
But I've changed my course
I am Michael, I am Jeffery and John
And I don't have to leave you
But I shall be gone

I am Genesis, I have no-o fear
I make my plans to land for
I plan to stay here
I am Simon, I am Demetrius and John
And I don't want to leave you
Unless you want me gone

I am fly-ying, but let me down
Oh I don't need the thi-ings
That once kept me around
It's not too late
To know who I am
I am Sagitarius

I am fly-yin' but let me down
Oh I don't need the thi-ings
That once kept me around
It's not too late
Do you know who I a-am

I am Pegasus, my name mea-eans horse
And I can fly-y with you now
But I've changed my course
I am Michael, I am Jeffery and John
And I don't have to leave you

I am Pegasus, my name mea-eans horse
And I ca-an fly-y with you now
But I've changed my course
I am Michael, I am Jeffery
I am Demetrius and John
And I don't have to leave you, no
No-no-no-no [fade]

Paul said:
I would like to print out a document that will tell me what documents,
files,
directories and what files and items are under that directory. I would
prefer to show all details as when created and when last motified, etc. I
was able to print the main directory of a cd, but did not show
subdirectories
and files. Any ideas? Your help is very appreciated. Thanks. Paul

Pegasus \(MVP\)

You've stumbled over my darkest secret but please don't tell
anyone! And the fact that you can quote Ross Ryan's hit suggests
that you're an old codger like me, and probably ugly too.

----------------------

Paul said:
I would like to print out a document that will tell me what documents,
files,
directories and what files and items are under that directory. I would
prefer to show all details as when created and when last motified, etc. I
was able to print the main directory of a cd, but did not show
subdirectories
and files. Any ideas? Your help is very appreciated. Thanks. Paul

Bruce Chambers

Paul said:
I would like to print out a document that will tell me what documents, files,
directories and what files and items are under that directory. I would
prefer to show all details as when created and when last motified, etc. I
was able to print the main directory of a cd, but did not show subdirectories
and files. Any ideas? Your help is very appreciated. Thanks. Paul

From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR command
(type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to modify the
output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text file using
NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

Alternatively:

HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: