Create Local Profile on Windows XP before a user logs in

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I work in a IT Support company and we are setting users up with new systems.
    the users ship the old systems to us and then we migrate there data from the
    old system to the new system. My problem is we are not alowed to login as the
    end user so they do not have a profile on there system. we need to create the
    end users profile so we can transfer there data. the File and setting
    transfer wizard would work if you had the option to transfer all profiles. Is
    there a way to create a profile before a user logs on.

Guest, Jan 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Maybe just try copying C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (hidden) to
    C:\Documents and Settings\username then copy all the info they need. I'm not
    sure if this would work, but I would test it out, trying to set one up for a
    test user, then log in as the test user and see what happened.

"jasonred" wrote:

> I work in a IT Support company and we are setting users up with new systems.
    > the users ship the old systems to us and then we migrate there data from the
    > old system to the new system. My problem is we are not alowed to login as the
    > end user so they do not have a profile on there system. we need to create the
    > end users profile so we can transfer there data. the File and setting
    > transfer wizard would work if you had the option to transfer all profiles. Is
    > there a way to create a profile before a user logs on.
    >

Guest, Jan 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Guest

Guest Guest

copying C:\Documents and Settings\Default User to C:\Documents and
    Settings\username does not work.
    It will create a new folder Username.Domain and if you create that folder it
    will just increment it with Username.Domain.000 then Username.Domain.001

"Jason Ryon" wrote:

> Maybe just try copying C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (hidden) to
    > C:\Documents and Settings\username then copy all the info they need. I'm not
    > sure if this would work, but I would test it out, trying to set one up for a
    > test user, then log in as the test user and see what happened.
    >
    > "jasonred" wrote:
    >
    > > I work in a IT Support company and we are setting users up with new systems.
    > > the users ship the old systems to us and then we migrate there data from the
    > > old system to the new system. My problem is we are not alowed to login as the
    > > end user so they do not have a profile on there system. we need to create the
    > > end users profile so we can transfer there data. the File and setting
    > > transfer wizard would work if you had the option to transfer all profiles. Is
    > > there a way to create a profile before a user logs on.
    > >

Guest, Jan 11, 2005
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

It seems as if there was some sort of user migration tool when upgrading from
    an old OS to XP, maybe this would work when upgrading from one computer to
    another as well? Maybe search microsoft.com for user migration or profile
    migration?

"jasonred" wrote:

> copying C:\Documents and Settings\Default User to C:\Documents and
    > Settings\username does not work.
    > It will create a new folder Username.Domain and if you create that folder it
    > will just increment it with Username.Domain.000 then Username.Domain.001
    >
    > "Jason Ryon" wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe just try copying C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (hidden) to
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\username then copy all the info they need. I'm not
    > > sure if this would work, but I would test it out, trying to set one up for a
    > > test user, then log in as the test user and see what happened.
    > >
    > > "jasonred" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I work in a IT Support company and we are setting users up with new systems.
    > > > the users ship the old systems to us and then we migrate there data from the
    > > > old system to the new system. My problem is we are not alowed to login as the
    > > > end user so they do not have a profile on there system. we need to create the
    > > > end users profile so we can transfer there data. the File and setting
    > > > transfer wizard would work if you had the option to transfer all profiles. Is
    > > > there a way to create a profile before a user logs on.
    > > >

Guest, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

The only tools i could fine requiers you to be logged in as the user that you
    are migrating.

"Jason Ryon" wrote:

> It seems as if there was some sort of user migration tool when upgrading from
    > an old OS to XP, maybe this would work when upgrading from one computer to
    > another as well? Maybe search microsoft.com for user migration or profile
    > migration?
    >
    > "jasonred" wrote:
    >
    > > copying C:\Documents and Settings\Default User to C:\Documents and
    > > Settings\username does not work.
    > > It will create a new folder Username.Domain and if you create that folder it
    > > will just increment it with Username.Domain.000 then Username.Domain.001
    > >
    > > "Jason Ryon" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Maybe just try copying C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (hidden) to
    > > > C:\Documents and Settings\username then copy all the info they need. I'm not
    > > > sure if this would work, but I would test it out, trying to set one up for a
    > > > test user, then log in as the test user and see what happened.
    > > >
    > > > "jasonred" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > I work in a IT Support company and we are setting users up with new systems.
    > > > > the users ship the old systems to us and then we migrate there data from the
    > > > > old system to the new system. My problem is we are not alowed to login as the
    > > > > end user so they do not have a profile on there system. we need to create the
    > > > > end users profile so we can transfer there data. the File and setting
    > > > > transfer wizard would work if you had the option to transfer all profiles. Is
    > > > > there a way to create a profile before a user logs on.
    > > > >

Guest, Jan 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements