    Posted as-is. Any spelling and/or grammar mistakes are a direct result of a
    communication glitch between my brain and my fingers which may or may not be
    directly related to a lack of caffeine intake.

    Mike Brearley, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Mike Brearley

    db Guest

    I don't know if you are
    simply asking the impossible,

    So I googled "usb to lpt" and
    found one page that might provide
    an idea:

    http://www.decompile.com/dataflex/tips/usb_printer.htm

    What Dos program you are trying
    to keep alive in this day of age?

    You might be easier running older
    software on motherboards that
    have a physical lpt..

    ps: I like your caveat..
    "Mike Brearley" <> wrote in message news:...
    I'm tying to setup an application for my father so he can use it on his
    Windows XP computer. The only problem I have is that I need an lpt1 port to
    be able to print to. His printer is USB and I know that if I had an lpt1
    port, I could simply share his printer out and map it to lpt1 using net use,
    however, the application requires that a physical lpt1 exist before it'll
    even consider the mapping that was created.

    Is there any tool out there that can create a virtual lpt1 on the computer
    that appears to be physical?

    --
    Mike

    db, Jan 26, 2007

  3. Mike Brearley

    db Guest

    I was re thinking of this
    and wondered if installing an lpt port
    via add hardware might be enough to
    fool that dos program.

    Granted the port
    will not work, but it might be
    enough for the dos program
    to recognize the hardware and
    you would be able to use your
    remapping program...

    db, Jan 26, 2007
  4. Mike Brearley

    DandyDon Guest

    Try using Microsoft Virtual Machine 2004. It's a free download from
    Microsoft.com. It allows DOS programs to run on an XP machine.

    DandyDon, Jan 26, 2007
  5. Mike Brearley

    Davide Guolo Guest

    Mike,

    > I'm tying to setup an application for my father so he can use it on his
    > Windows XP computer. The only problem I have is that I need an lpt1 port
    > to be able to print to.

    Printfil can capture the LPT output and forward it to the USB printer for
    most of the DOS applications out there, even if no LPT ports are physically
    installed on the machine.

    You can try it yourself by downloading the free trial version you can find
    at http://www.printfil.com

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    aSwIt s.r.l.
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.printfil.com
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.aswit.com/odbc4all
    @Kill - Batch Close Windows Applications - Freeware
    http://www.aswit.com/akill

    Davide Guolo, Jan 26, 2007
  6. The problem is, I don't have a physical LPT1 port, so VMWare won't recognize
    it and capture it. Even if I add one through add hardware and set an IRQ
    and I/O address, VMWare still knows it's a fake port and won't capture it.
    That program would probably work fine otherwise.

    Thanks...

    --
    Mike

    Mike Brearley, Jan 27, 2007
  7. Tried it but I still have the same issue as with VMWare... without a
    physical LPT1 port, it won't capture LPT1.

    --
    Mike

    Mike Brearley, Jan 27, 2007
  8. I had already tried the first suggestion you had, was hoping it'd work, but even after doing that, VMWare won't capture the port, it starts it as disconnected meaning nothing will make it through to XP to see the redirected lpt1. :-(

    I then tried your second suggestion and thought it had a really good chance at working, but VMWare knew it wasn't a real port and still disconnected the lpt1 when starting the session (same issue with Microsoft Virtual PC)

    Thanks for trying. What I've done right now is haviing my dad us the new computer to create the file, save it to a floppy, then take it downstairs to the old computer, load up the file and print it. He's OK with that, he's just glad it's working again. The program he's using is cadkey and he doesn't like anything other than the dos version of it which doesn't work at all in XP and even in Windows 9x has to restart the computer inot DOS mode.

    --
    Mike

    Mike Brearley, Jan 27, 2007
  9. Mike Brearley