    I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
    than the bios.

    How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios?

    Terry, Aug 13, 2007

  2. Terry

    peter Guest

    They read the actual diode on the mobo directly..and they read the temp.
    diode on/in the CPU itself if available.
    The P4 chips do run a little hotter than the average chip...but 60 is still
    a little warmer than comfortable....low 50's would be better.
    Even back in 2003 when it came out reviewers where saying it needed better
    cooling than the stock Intel unit it came with.
    what does speedfan say????

    peter

    peter, Aug 13, 2007

  3. Terry

    Linux Geek Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:54:47 -0700, Terry wrote:

    > I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
    > than the bios.
    >
    > How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios?

    It does get it's reading from the BIOS. However you must ensure that the
    correct chip is selected by the monitoring software. If the correct chip
    is not selected, the readings will be erroneous.

    Linux Geek

    Saying that XP is the most stable MS OS is like saying that
    asparagus is the most articulate vegetable. (Dave Barry)

    Linux Geek, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Terry

    Terry Guest

    On Aug 12, 7:58 pm, "peter" <> wrote:
    > They read the actual diode on the mobo directly..and they read the temp.
    > diode on/in the CPU itself if available.
    > The P4 chips do run a little hotter than the average chip...but 60 is still
    > a little warmer than comfortable....low 50's would be better.
    > Even back in 2003 when it came out reviewers where saying it needed better
    > cooling than the stock Intel unit it came with.
    > what does speedfan say????
    >
    > peter
    >
    > "Terry" <> wrote in message

    > >I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
    > > than the bios.

    > > How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios

    Speed fan reports much lower temperatures.

    Here is a screenshot. I am not sure what all the temps are yet.

    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4yrfvhl

    I guess I am going to install the Nvidia 6800GT and find out what hot
    really is.

    Thanks

    Terry, Aug 13, 2007
  5. Terry

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:54:47 -0700, Terry <> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I tried SpeedFan as a temperature monitor. It reports a cooler temp
    >than the bios.
    >
    >How can a monitor get it's readings if it is not from the bios?

    SpeedFan and the BIOS both get their readings from a hardware monitor
    chip which has several inputs including temperature sensors (either
    diode or thermistor), voltages, and fan tachos.

    SF may report a lower temperature than the BIOS (mine does this)
    because the OS may be cooling the CPU using Cool'n'Quiet, or PowerNow,
    or SpeedStep, or a utility such as CPUidle.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Aug 15, 2007