CPU Running 100% - Very Slow

Yoshi

I am having a strange problem. My CPU is running at 100% causing the OS to
be very, very slow. I've tried identifying the process that is causing it
but I can't find it. There isn't a process that is showing a large CPU usage
amount.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I am running a Dell Precision M60
Laptop (docked), 2.0g process, Quadro FX GO 700 128mb of video ram, 60g 7200
rpm hd, Dell 24" wide screen monitor.

I do have the Microsoft OneCare Beta installed (it's working).

What's odd is... ocassionally, the cpu wil act normally and performance is
dramatically improved.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Yosh

John Barnes

I had the problem after an attempt at upgrading beta2 to RC1 and following
the rollback. For me, explorer.exe was the problem and setting the priority
to low priority allowed other programs to function. I have stopped using it
and am using Vista 64 on another partition.

rogerlebo

Hi!

I have the same problem with Vista 64-bits.
But, with Vista 32-bits, I do not have this problem.

So, do you run Vista 32-bits or 64-bits?

Bonne journée! Roger

Yoshi

I am running Vista 32-bit.

I am baffled on which process is causing such high demand on my cpu. It
just sits at 100%.

Chad Harris

Yoshi said:
I am having a strange problem. My CPU is running at 100% causing the OS to
be very, very slow. I've tried identifying the process that is causing it
but I can't find it. There isn't a process that is showing a large CPU
usage amount.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I am running a Dell Precision M60
Laptop (docked), 2.0g process, Quadro FX GO 700 128mb of video ram, 60g
7200 rpm hd, Dell 24" wide screen monitor.

I do have the Microsoft OneCare Beta installed (it's working).

What's odd is... ocassionally, the cpu wil act normally and performance is
dramatically improved.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Yosh

Chad Harris

Speed PC and Control CPU Tips
SPEED AND CPU:
_______________
1) Trim processes you don't need in TM. Google if you have to. 2) Go to
services.msc in run box and turn off services not needed and there are some.
Run System File Checker.
SFC: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
3) Run 3 or so spyware scans MSFT AS, Adaware (new build May 27 1.06) Spybot
4) Probably the most important for speed consistently and efficient resource
use DEFRAG with www.raxco.com or www.diskeeeper.com with 15% free space on
drive if DK and or >5% if Raxco's Perfect Disk.
http://groups.msn.com/windowsxpcentral/spyware.msnw Download Adaware and
Spybot from here.
GOOD Overall Review for Defending Your PC:
MSFT Defense Site MSFT Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx
Protect Your PC from MSFT Security:
MSFT Antispyware Beta:
MSFT MSRT: (Malicious Software Removal Tool)
MSFT "Windows One Care" in Wings (AV and Spyware Scans)
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/may05/05-13WindowsOneCarePR.mspx
MSFT Contemplating buying it's Security Enemy Claris Gator--in CIA that's
called being a double agent.
4) Unck items from msconfig start tab you don't need starting and some
won't start--peoiple who think just uncking for many are naive because there
are 12 places things can be started including several reg keys like Run Once
keys and there are serveral.
5) Turn off Messaging service--it's a security vulnerability and it slows
you 6) Defrag very often every other day actually 7) Turn off indexing in
the very erratic XP search 8) Clear TIF and %temp% files (delete) and go to
safe mode to get as many as u can.
9) Do a troubleshoot with msconfig 10) Do Clean boot with msconfig utility
and search for the directions here

SERVICE CONFIGURATION REFERENCES*

Black Viper's Site
http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm

http://www.z123.org/techsupport/xpservices.htm
http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
This will be helpful
http://web.archive.org/web/20041128084144/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/
Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041/
How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434
How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/
How to Disable a Service or Device that Prevents Windows from Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310602/

Also ck out these references:
http://www.speedupyourcomputer.windowsreinstall.com/index.htm and
http://www.extremetech.com/search_r...=how+to+speed+windows+xp&filterapp=&site=4P.S. Defragging with a decent defrag every day will make a huge dent inefficient resource/CPU use.Good luck,CH"Yoshi" <[email protected]> wrote in messageam having a strange problem. My CPU is running at 100% causing the OS tobe very, very slow. I've tried identifying the process that is causing itbut I can't find it. There isn't a process that is showing a large CPU usageamount.>> Any ideas on what might be causing this? I am running a Dell Precision M60Laptop (docked), 2.0g process, Quadro FX GO 700 128mb of video ram, 60g 7200rpm hd, Dell 24" wide screen monitor.>> I do have the Microsoft OneCare Beta installed (it's working).>> What's odd is... ocassionally, the cpu wil act normally and performance isdramatically improved.>> Any suggestions would be great!>> Thanks,> Yosh