counting rows with same values for multiple values

Jon Viehe

I have a list of 150 assets which are assigned to 20 or so depts. How can I
count the number of assets per dept. In essence counting the number of times
different values reoccur? For example

Asset1 - dept1
asset2 - dept 1
asset3-dept2
asset4-dept2
asset5-dept3

dept1 has 2 assets
dept2 has 2 assets
dept3 has 1 asset

Id like to avoid doing a COUNTIF and having to type each dept name

Paul Sheppard

Jon said:
I have a list of 150 assets which are assigned to 20 or so depts. Ho
can I
count the number of assets per dept. In essence counting the number o
times
different values reoccur? For example

Asset1 - dept1
asset2 - dept 1
asset3-dept2
asset4-dept2
asset5-dept3

dept1 has 2 assets
dept2 has 2 assets
dept3 has 1 asset

Id like to avoid doing a COUNTIF and having to type each dept name

Hi Jon

A pivot table would give you the answer you are looking fo

Bob Phillips

Separate columns?

If so

=COUNTIF(B:B,"dept1")

--

HTH

RP

Jon Viehe

Could you walk me through it? I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out
on my own along with F1, but got lost. Looked at pivot tables too, but
again, confused.

"Paul Sheppard" <[email protected]>

Jon Viehe

Wait, I think that did it. I just dragged the column into the column and
data area of the pivot table and I think it gave me what i wanted. Thanks.