Counting based upon 2 conditions that are text based

walkerdayle

:confused:
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to count data based upon two columns of data that are text
based. For example:
Column A Column B

- dog blue
- cat Brown
- cow Brown
- cow White
- cat Black

I'd like to know how I can count how many Cow's are brown. I'm sure
there's a nested CountIF statement in there somewhere.

Thanks for any help!
Anita

Well one easy cheat is to concatenate the two columns into one and then count
how many concatenated text strings match your criteria.

Example:

=concatenate(a1,b1) would yield dogblue etc.

so, =countif(c1:c5,"cowbrown") would return 1.

Pete_UK

Try this array* formula:

=SUM(IF((A1:A10="cow")*(B1:B10="brown"),1,0))

* As this is an array formula, then once you have typed it in (or
subsequently edit it) you must use CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just
ENTER. If you do this correctly then Excel will wrap curly braces { }
around the formula - you must not type these yourself.

Adjust the ranges to suit your data (both should be the same size).

Hope this helps.

Pete

Bob Phillips

You can shorten that to

=SUM((A1:A10="cow")*(B1:B10="brown"))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Pete_UK said:
Try this array* formula:

=SUM(IF((A1:A10="cow")*(B1:B10="brown"),1,0))

* As this is an array formula, then once you have typed it in (or
subsequently edit it) you must use CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just
ENTER. If you do this correctly then Excel will wrap curly braces { }
around the formula - you must not type these yourself.

Adjust the ranges to suit your data (both should be the same size).

Hope this helps.

Pete

walkerdayle

:)
Thank you all for helping me. I found the sum array formula to work
best. Thank you once again!!! It worked! Now I don't have to call
Ghost Busters when I have a problem :)

But I do have a question for Pete_UK, what was the 1,0 for at the end
of the formula?

Anita

Bob Phillips

it was to add a 1 in the condition was true, 0 if false. As I said, it was
unnecessary.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Bob Phillips said:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="cow"),--(B1:B10="brown"))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"walkerdayle" <[email protected]>

Pete_UK

Thanks Bob, it's obvious now that you've pointed it out !!

Pete