COUNTIF greater than one column and less than another

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Worksheet Functions' started by Nadine, May 7, 2009.

  1. Nadine

    Nadine Guest

    I am attempting to write a COUNTIF statement with greater than and less than
    functionality. I have 2 worksheets.

    Sheet 1 contains the extracted data from a database – this cannot be
    changed.
    Row A is a sequential number of the items.
    Row B contains the status (New, In Progress, Closed).
    Row C contains the day and time the item was created.
    Row D contains the day and time the item was closed.
    Cell F2 contains: =MONTH(C2)&"-"&YEAR(C2)
    Cell G2 contains: =IF(B2="Closed", MONTH(C2)&"-"&YEAR(C2),"")

    Sheet 2 has the 6 month reporting period as shown below:
    Cell B1 is for the user to enter the MM-YYYY of the first reporting month
    Cell B2 contains the following formula: =DATE(YEAR(B1),MONTH(B1)+C2,DAY(B1))
    to return the MM-YYYY 1 greater than the month in cell B1. This continues
    through B6 so I have 6 months in a row.
    Cell A16 says: =B1 to return the MM-YYYY of the first month for reporting.
    Cell B16 says: =B2 and so on through cell F16
    Row 17 is where I want the results of the COUNTIF formula to begin.
    Cell A17 says: =COUNTIF(Sheet1!$F:$F,Sheet2!A16) to tell me how many were
    opened in the month displayed in cell A16.
    Cell A18 says: =COUNTIF(Sheet1!$G:$G,Sheet2!A16) to tell me how many were
    closed during the month displayed in cell A16.
    Now I have the number of items opened and the number of items closed in each
    month.

    What I need to know is how many OPEN items I had at the beginning of the
    current month. Remember that the months in row 16 will changed based on what
    the user enters in cell B2. (This workbook is to be used as a template so it
    will constantly be changing.)

    I've tried using the formula for COUNTIF in the help section:
    =COUNTIF(Sheet1!$F:$F,"<Sheet2!A16")-COUNTIF(Sheet1!$G:$G,">Sheet2!B16") to
    tell me how many were open at the beginning (12:01am) of the second month.
    The result was 11 which is incorrect as only 1 item was created in the first
    month and it is still open. So the result should have been 1.

    Thanks for any help.

    Nadine, May 7, 2009

  2. Nadine

    JBeaucaire Guest

    I use SUMPRODUCT() to accomplish counting like you're describing. This
    function is WAY more flexible than people realize at first. This link has a
    wonderful tutorial and the really good stuff is down the sheet a ways past
    the "Advantages of Sumproduct"

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html#classic

    Read up on that. Then I imagine a formula for count of open items spanning
    many months to be something like this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(RangeOfOpeningDates>=OpeningDate),
    --(RangeOfOpeningDates<CutoffOpenDate),
    --(RangeOfClosingDates>CutoffOpenDate))

    Now, just insert the correct ranges and cell references for those values.
    With Sumproduct, you can't refer to whole columns like you can with COUNTIF
    unless you're using Excel 2007
    --
    "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB

    Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

    JBeaucaire, May 7, 2009

  3. Nadine

    Nadine Guest

    I entered the formula
    =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!F:F<Sheet2!C16)*(Sheet1!G:G>Sheet2!C16)) and received
    #NUM! as the result. Thanks for the link, though. I will keep it and
    continue reading up on SUMPRODUCT to see if there's another way to write it
    that will give me the result I need.
    Nadine

    Nadine, May 8, 2009
  4. Nadine

    JBeaucaire Guest

    You need to read my original suggestion again. I mentioned that sumproduct
    can't refer to an entire column. Simply use an actual range, sufficiently
    large to cover your needs. Sumproduct is the function for this.

    JBeaucaire, May 8, 2009
  5. Nadine

    Nadine Guest

    Sorry. I missed that in your original response. Unfortunately I need the
    whole column as it they data in the column will continually grow. With
    limiting the end it will, at some point, no longer see all the data. I think
    I've found a way around my problem with making a few changes in other cells
    and formulas.

    Nadine, May 8, 2009
  6. Nadine

    Justin Case Guest

    On May 7, 8:05 pm, Nadine <> wrote:
    > Sorry.  I missed that in your original response.  Unfortunately I need the
    > whole column as it they data in the column will continually grow.  With
    > limiting the end it will, at some point, no longer see all the data.  Ithink
    > I've found a way around my problem with making a few changes in other cells
    > and formulas.
    >

    > "JBeaucaire" wrote:
    > > You need to read my original suggestion again. I mentioned that sumproduct
    > > can't refer to an entire column. Simply use an actual range, sufficiently
    > > large to cover your needs.  Sumproduct is the function for this.

    > > --
    > > "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB

    > > Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

    > > "Nadine" wrote:

    > > > I entered the formula
    > > > =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!F:F<Sheet2!C16)*(Sheet1!G:G>Sheet2!C16)) and received
    > > > #NUM! as the result.  Thanks for the link, though.  I will keep it and
    > > > continue reading up on SUMPRODUCT to see if there's another way to write it
    > > > that will give me the result I need.
    > > > Nadine

    Just a thought, but you can use JB's suggestion simply by including
    the entire column range reference i.e.

    =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!F1:F65536<Sheet2!C16)*(Sheet1!G1:G65536>Sheet2!
    C16))

    I used the formula you posted, so I didn't actually test on data.

    Regards,

    Justin Case, May 8, 2009