Corruption!

I have tried to open a 'Frontend' database this morning to be told the
Backend 'Is not an Access database and needs to be repaired'.

I have tried Repairing/Compacting the Backend but get told it is not a valid
database file.

I am using Access 97.

Is there anyway of retrieving the information from the Backend? I have tried
various things but get the same kind of errors.

Does anyone know why this happens and how it can be prevented in future?
(There are approx 10 users for the DB and I have now lost all of yesterdays
work :(

Cheers,
Steve.

Arvin Meyer

First, always work on a copy of the database. Working on the original may
make it impossible for a repair service to fix it.

Download a copy of JetComp.exe:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;273956

Also have a look at the Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;209137

Then have a look at Tony Toews' Access Corruption FAQ at:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

for some suggestions. Unfortunately, some corruption cannot be fixed - you
may need to create a new database, import what can be salvaged, and recreate
the rest.

Although it's a paid service, Peter Miller does an outstanding job of saving
corrupt databases. Try this URL:

http://www.pksolutions.com
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
Microsoft Access

Tom Wickerath

Hi Steve,

See the following articles for suggestions on what causes corruption:

Allen Browne's site:
Preventing corruption
http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-25.html

Recovering from corruption
http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-47.html

Tony Toews site. Note: you can search Tony's site for keywords, such as corruption, and find
lots of hits. Here are a few of them:

Corrupt Microsoft Access MDBs FAQ
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Best Practices for Microsoft Access
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/bestpractices.htm

ACC: Jet Database Engine 3.x Error Messages Due to Corruption
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=182867

I have tried to open a 'Frontend' database this morning to be told the
Backend 'Is not an Access database and needs to be repaired'.

I have tried Repairing/Compacting the Backend but get told it is not a valid
database file.

I am using Access 97.

Is there anyway of retrieving the information from the Backend? I have tried
various things but get the same kind of errors.

Does anyone know why this happens and how it can be prevented in future?
(There are approx 10 users for the DB and I have now lost all of yesterdays
work :(

Cheers,
Steve.

Tom Wickerath

Arvin,

Is Peter Miller still offering this service? The reason I ask is that Access MVP Alex Dybenko
includes the following post, dated 10/1/2004, at http://alexdyb.blogspot.com/:

"Well, looks promising, hope this will be a good replacement for Peter Miller, who suddenly stop
this service..."

Out of curiosity, I sent the following inquiry to Peter Miller. As of today, I have not received
any reply back.