corrupted word doc

Reaction score
Hi everybody- whenever I try to open a 360 page .doc file, password protected document that ive been editing regularly for the past 2 years, and I receive the following error: The open XML file (document location) cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents. Below are two screenshots of the error - The first is when I tried on a mac in word 2008 - what I've been editing the document on from the beginning, and the second is from word 2010 on a windows 7.

I have tried opening it via "open and recover any text," as well as run a disk check on my mac. Opening with the above method opens the document but shows me a lot of seemingly random characters. I have tried to turn it into a zip file to attempt to access the XML to delete the corrupted part (based on some other forum suggestions for the same problem) but cannot figure out how to access the different zip files.

Please let me know if you have any possible suggestions for this situation. This document is extremely important to me, and I am really hoping that I can somehow access it again and that the file is not unrecoverable.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sam

Ask a Question