Corrupt Data1.cab and English.cab on installs

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just built my pc, managed to eventually get windows up and running after afew teething problems(Asus A8V cant detect Sata HDs without updates). Now i have another problem you can hopefully help me with. When i try to install Far Cry and Dawn of War it gets part way through the installation and says:

" Error 1335. The cabinet file 'English.cab'(Or sometimes 'Data1.cab') required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indecate a network rror, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package"

So far i have tried copying files onto HD and trying to install, installing with all processes except explorer running and repeating lots of times to get it to work. I have successfully installed X2:The Threat which came with my gfx card and some utilities without any problems. Far Cry is a new version i got from play.com i havnt tested on another machine yet, but DOW runs on other machines.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and what i can do to get things working? Any help Appriciated.

Finn
New machine:
AMD 3500+ Winchester
Asus A8V Deluxe
GeIL CAS 2.5 1GB Dual Chanel
Maxtor Diamondmax10 160GB 8mb
XFX 6600GT AGP
NEC ND3520 16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer OEM
Enermax Noisetaker 485W
Samsung Syncmaster 710T
XP Pro SP1a(not updated yet)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You have a problem with either the CD-ROM drive or CD ... sometimes it can be the cable. How is the CD drive connected to the MB?

An outside chance it could be memory.

;)

Reaction score
Found a fix that involved going through msconfig-->boot.ini>--MAXMEM=256 then installing, and turning it off afterwards.

It worked for Far Cry so i will use that in future if i get the same problem, takes abit longer to do stuff but its better than it not working at all, hoping it will go away at some point :) .
Thanks for the response Mucks :)

Finn

Reaction score
On a related note, if i have to do the above to get installs to work, does this mean there is a problem with the memory, have been getting alot of crashes since i put it together, some of them no doubt caused by the lack of updates since i havent got the internet on it yet. But i've had a blue screen that said it was dumping the contents of the memory and lots of jumping back to windows when i load things up. If i have got bad memory modules i hope overclockers customer support isnt as bad as people seem to say it is.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Finn said:
Found a fix that involved going through msconfig-->boot.ini>--MAXMEM=256 then installing, and turning it off afterwards.

It worked for Far Cry so i will use that in future if i get the same problem, takes abit longer to do stuff but its better than it not working at all, hoping it will go away at some point :) .
Thanks for the response Mucks :)

Finn
I did not post the MEXMEM 'fix' because it's not really a fix ... It does seem as though you have a memory problem.

Return the system to the default for 'maxmem' and remove one of your sticks of memory ... play around with one stick and then the other to see if it is actually the memory.

Problem installs can usually be assosiated with bad memory. :(

Reaction score
Not tried removing one of the sticks yet but i keep getting:
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" blue screens which according to the google search i did is caused by the memory, i think i will see what my return options are with overclockers.

Ask a Question